Shredding Old Old School

tirapop

Yeah, I've seen those Shimabukuro vids. He's incredible.

I think the Roy Smeck stuff is interesting because of it's age. Today, the bar on technique has been raised really high and there are a fair number of really proficient players. It's easier to forget about guys like Smeck, Django, Les Paul, and Chet Atkins ripping it up, back in the day.

That Roy Smeck guy is insanely cool!

Preceeded hendrix with all those show of stunt things, but I'm not so sure of the point of randomly blowing on the uke...

Double neck uke eh? Coooool....

Actually one insturment that really intrigues me is some called "Ben Franklins Harmonica"

Its not a harmonica in the traditional sense. You know how if you take a crystal glass and rub around the top with a wet finger it will make a ringing soung? Well The Ben Fanklin harmonic is made of a number of bowls that are precisely tuned to pitch, http://www.fi.edu/qa99/attic9/mvc-002f.jpg

Its similar to a guitar in that all the notes are in a line, flats sharps and naturals, you play it by pumping a pedal and that tuns the crystal bowls, then you rest your hans on top of the bowl rims and they willl vibrate like when you run your finger around a glass.

They are expensive as they are all custom made, but they might be good for adding ambiance to pieces.

Edited by Firefox2551