Pink Stain

I was just wondering what exactly you'd do to get a PINK stain like those PRS's or that McNaught guitar with the flamingo inlay. I know pink SHOULD color wheel wise just be white mixed with red... but there's not white stain... and I'd think just watering down red would give you a less powerful red... not a pink?

Chris

I was just wondering what exactly you'd do to get a PINK stain like those PRS's or that McNaught guitar with the flamingo inlay. I know pink SHOULD color wheel wise just be white mixed with red... but there's not white stain... and I'd think just watering down red would give you a less powerful red... not a pink?

Chris

I've seen white stain. Over here the brand Syntilor makes it, it's part of their color series (not wood tone series).

sorry, i did a search for pink and got 18 pages of results and went through the first 2 pages with no luck.... and pink stain had no results :D

Chris

Instead of looking for pink (at the store I mean) have a look for a name that sound like it that 'might' be pink --like coral for example, or moonglow or pixie dust something like that. The red I found is actually called 'girofle'.

Guess that sounds more decoratorish.

If you find it pre-made, cool.

But if you can't, what I would recommend is that you take some alcohol-based red anilyne dye (I would use Solar Lux myself, already a liquid ready to go) and white paint (as you have already deduced) and mix them together to get the shade you want.

Here's some info you may or may not know that may help you:

Any paint (lacquer preferrably anyway) can be reduced down until it's basically transparent. Fender does this with their see-thru white (I forget the real color name) Telecasters. It's just white paint reduced down until it's transparent.

So you can indeed make your own pink dye, it's easy. Use very very very little white paint tho, it won't take much to get you to pink. You may want to make your transparent white first, do your red, and mix them together until you get where you want to be.