Taylor Factory Fridays!

Assuming you have an automated side bender, and massive rotary neck shaper. Don't get me wrong - they're fun videos, but they really won't tell you much about about building acoustics in anything other than a massively jigged up factory environment.

Sorry.. perhaps the tongue sticking out wasn't obvious enough.

Footnote. Tongue in last post = assuming you have thousands of dollars worth of very nice machinery.

I thought it was just interesting how a big company makes guitars. There is a few tips that could help us lil' guitar makers though :D

Well... what i want to know is when is all that stuff gonna be sold? they sell the fretting helper thing in stew mac (fret buck or something?!) heh heh.

Well my shed is small :D getting a bit crampt now. Oh well. when i get my own house!! wooo!

I likethe factory fridays, very unique and informative. However, about only 1% of the luthiers move on to that level I guess then its quite interesting to see how people make guitars on the double. Compared with fender and PRS, I must say that Taylor is probrably the best guitar company with their precision and resources to make many guitars on demand.

Sambo, I case you didn't know, there are probrably more that 14 videos. Just that they arent out yet. They make a video every month.

And lastly, one thing I must add to "list of things to buy when dominated earth", a UV guitar drying and paint unit. Don't you love it, spray a coat of sealer, colour, and a dozen coats and clear then wham! Into the hi-tech UV unit and in 10 minutes you have completed the guitar's curing process. Damn! I wonder how much a machine and paint like that would dig?

There are 'small shop' UV solutions, but honestly, you can use the same product (McFadden's Polyester) and accelerate curing chemically, with MEK, which leaves you with a guitar that can be sprayed within 1 day (3-5 coats, maybe less, IIRC; high solids, you don't need a dozen coats of clear like with nitro) and levelled and buffed 24 hours later, perfect cure. Plenty of smaller builders are using the stuff, but you must have good full body protection, respirator, and a booth, because the MEK and other chemicals are seriously nasty.

Still, if I had the space, I'd go for it...

I think those vids are great. Some of the little things they do to improve accuracy (when using very fast equipment) could be integrated into small shop equipment. Very clever solutions and machines. The main thing I find most helpful is how they prepair and handle the material to keep the consistency and accuracy so high. I think the neck joint is pretty nice also.

UV paint lines are very impressive, and pretty simple really. Warm up the material, shoot, keep the paint and material warm and stick it under UV lamps. I wired a line at a cabnet factory one time, and it really did paint fast (without a lot of nasty vapors). I would love to try it out, but for now my water based laquer is just fine.

Peace,Rich

I met bob taylor a few months ago, and he was great. I explained a few of the problems i'd had with making guitars and he gave me a few tips for them! he said he was always up for people brinigng down their home mades for him to see (so if anyone is going to a taylor sponsored gig!).

I really like those T5 electric guitars they make