Painting A Fret Board?

I have seen some guitars online that have had painted fret boards. What do you have to do to paint on the fretboard. Is there some sort of sanding that you have to do.. if you do paint of the fretboard can you actually play it or is it just for looks.. Any info on this topic would be usefull.. thankyou

Venom

What do you have to do to paint on the fretboard. Is there some sort of sanding that you have to do.. if you do paint of the fretboard can you actually play it or is it just for looks..

I have done a thineline Tele with an all maple neck. This one I wanted to get the same look/colour all over the guitar so I dyed the maple neck, back head and fretboard with the same dye as the body before finishing. The preparations and finishing scheme are the same as a normal neck and body except for the dying part. The difference between this method and coloured/opaque finish is that when the finish wears of my neck will still have a colour that is at least similar to the body.

Do you wonder if it was worth it, if it looked good and if I would do it again? Let me put it this way: It was no major success.