Dead Fret

hey guys. i am sorry for posting this cuz im sure its been answered on here before, but i couldnt find it using the search function.(i searched fro dead fret and didnt know what else it could be under) any way...i got this ibanez sz720 and it has a fret that dies out only when i play that fret on the g string (the third fret dies out or sounds the same as the fourth fret). i know the most obvious thing to do would be to pull the fret and put in a new one, at least its obvious to me, but i dont have the skill to do that yet. is there any other way to get this to sound right? maybe file down the fourth fret a little bit? i guess its not that big a deal since its only that one spot but i like that fret and that string. any help you guys could give i would really appreciate. thanks...

-RAF

$30!! Dang

Up here they are getting $100 for a deluxe setup (Truss rod, intonation, fret leveling, crowning, polishing, saddle and nut adjustments "tightening hardware" examination of electronics and restringing)

A nut replacement is $95

A refret is $285.......

I'm just glad I'm learning how to do the stuff myself.

$30!! Dang

Up here they are getting $100 for a deluxe setup (Truss rod, intonation, fret leveling, crowning, polishing, saddle and nut adjustments "tightening hardware" examination of electronics and restringing)

A nut replacement is $95

A refret is $285.......

I'm just glad I'm learning how to do the stuff myself.

Those really aren't bad prices when you consider the time and labor involved. I think I was quoted $40 for a fret level and crown on my Strat.

The only thing I need my local guitar shop for is fret leveling. Mainly because I don't wanna buy the tools. However, if I continue to build, I'll probably invest in some so I can learn to do it myself. In the mean time, $30 ain't bad to have it done professionally. :D