First Guitar - Thinline Tele.

I had meant to post this a long time ago, but here's a bunch of pictures from my first attempt at building a guitar. Its a pre built carvin neck. The body is a thinline tele derivative, hollowbody, single f hole, dimarzio humbuckers and a fishman pickup under the bridge. I have the accoustic pickup electronics in the back cavity. The small toggle lets me substitute the accoustic pickup and preamp in place of the neck position pickup, that way I can easily switch between leads to my choice of clean tones with the big switch. Anyway, here are the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/GuitsBoy/GuitarProject

What do you guys think?

-Tony

Edited by GuitsBoy

That looks fantastic, and especially so for a first guitar.

You seem to be blessed with a nicely equiped workshop too.

I bet you're already planning guitar #2 :D

Excellent work!!! Awesome finish. How does the piezo bridge sound?? I'm in the planning stages of a single PU (humbucker) guitar with a piezo bridge (I'm actually toying with the idea of a decorative "fake" sound hole) and am curious how much it (the piezo bridge) cost, how easy was it to install, and how it sounds...Rog

Thanks for the kind words guys... Ill probably build another one eventually when i get some more time. Im thinking about either doing a martin kit or perhaps a carved top solidbody neckthrough like a PRS derivitive.

As for the fishman, I really like the way it sounds. Its not a convincing accoustic tone, but its far more resonant for clean sounds than a normal neck position humbucker. I like it a lot and find it rather useful. Im constantly using that for my clean tones over the bucker.

Very nice work! It's almost hard to believe it is really your first attempt at making a guitar. You never made anything before this, or have been fooling around with kits and so on?

I am starting a Martin kit soon.

Cheerio!

-Spencer

I built a carvin bolt kit guitar, but that was fully finished, and only needed to have the neck, tuners, bridge and prewired pickguard screwed on. I wouldnt even count that as a kit. I just like building stuff with my hands. I guess its in my blood.

The machine shop in the picture is my fathers aerospace shop. I used the bridgeport milling machine for all the milling and routing out the channels, sanding with a sanding drum, and even cutting out the body binding channel. I guess I did use a dremel to touch up some places here and there too...

Very nice work! It's almost hard to believe it is really your first attempt at making a guitar. You never made anything before this, or have been fooling around with kits and so on?

I am starting a Martin kit soon.

Cheerio!

-Spencer

I built a carvin bolt kit guitar, but that was fully finished, and only needed to have the neck, tuners, bridge and prewired pickguard screwed on. I wouldnt even count that as a kit. I just like building stuff with my hands. I guess its in my blood.

The machine shop in the picture is my fathers aerospace shop. I used the bridgeport milling machine for all the milling and routing out the channels, sanding with a sanding drum, and even cutting out the body binding channel. I guess I did use a dremel to touch up some places here and there too...

I'll bet you had a ton of legos then

Curious though.. what is that bit in the mill? that thing is a beast. I have been using a 4 flute end mill for all my milling and as you could imagine, it takes a while on bigger surfaces.

That bit is a 6 sided stepped insert face mill. Its got 6 inserts that are sequentially stepped downward and inward towards the center, that way as the cutter goes around, it only takes 5 or 10 thousanths with each of the inserts. Theyre sequentially moved inward towards the center to compensate for the movement of the table as you traverse. Its really meant for face milling aluminum, steel or Ti, but its seemed to cut through maple just as easily :D