Humbucker Compared To Singlecoil

Spencer Gross

Hello,

I have got a slim Ibanez semi-acoustic electric guitar with two humbucker pickups. The pickups came with the guitar, and the guitar is a Japanese model (mass produced).

First, I've got a problem with getting the top E-string to ring and sustain equally to the other strings, when I am playing small-bar-gig volume. I play 11's.

I can only seem to get full tone on the top E-string when I am playing concert-volume. And that is not my usual playing surcomstances.

Now, is this problem due to the power of the humbucker? Does the humbucker need a bigger amp or more volume to really empasize the top E-string?

Because, a couple of weeks ago I was playing my friends Strat with singlecoil pickups at that same volume, but there was no problem what so ever.

Is it the pickup, or is it something else giving me this problem?

-Spencer

Not necessarily the pickup. Or more accurately, without seeing/playing the guitar, nobody could tell you that it's not your particular pickup or not, but "humbuckers" in general don't mean lack of sustain on the high E string.

I suspect setup. With the pickup too close to the string, the magnet will dampen the vibration of the string. With the pickup too far away, you won't get the output level you might need, and though your string will technically still be "sustaining", there might be the illusion that it's not.

Although humbuckers IMO look aesthetically better all flat and level-like, try raising the treble side a bit (unless it's already too close, re: the magnet thing) to see if that helps.

Greg

Hello Greg,

Thanks alot for the tips. I am going to try out raising the side of the pickup, which is closest to the E-string.

The other things you mentioned were of course also relevant, it's just that I have adjusted my pickups, to be at a reasonable distance from the strings. So I really doubt that, that's the problem.

Thanks again!

-Spencer

No worries. For all I know, it COULD be your particular pickup, but humbuckers in general don't exhibit high-E sustain loss.

Humbuckers generally sound a tad darker overall, but that shouln't translate into sustain issues.

Does it happen with both of the pickups or just one? I had it happen on one of my guitars with active pickups, which are a lot better for allowing the string to continue vibrating than passives, and it turned out to be a setup issue. I never figured out what the exact issue was, but after it was all setup properly the high-E was good to go and had no sustain issues.

Your case could be different, but start methodically.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Do the pickups have adjustable pole pieces (screws visible from the top of the pickup)?

If so, and if your primarily problem is the high E, then you can rise that specific pole piece. Just turn it counter clockwise and listen to what happens. I often have to do that to adjust the string to string balance

Are you turning the guitars volume down when you play at lower volumes or just your amp?

If you are getting the problem when turning down the guitar you might need to put a treble bypass capacitor in the circuit. Have a look at the circuit for a Telecaster. The cap bleeds some treble past the volume pot and you don't have the sudden treble cut when turning the volume down slightly.

Keith

Sounds like you may have a "dead" spot on your neck or maybe your nut may need refiling which could be causing a slight mute on the string. Same thing could be happening at the bridge saddle. May not even be electrical at all...

-Stan