In Progress V. Finished Work

Inisheer

In Progress v. Finished work  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious to know if you prefer to watch people's progress and offer advice, or if you prefer they just post pics of the finished guitar. I want to know what I should do for my upcoming projects. :D

If you're gonna document properly (more or less, anyway) post a progress thread. It's always fun to see how others do things, and people may come up with advice or warning based on pictures/descriptions of what you're doing - not all ideas that seem great are, and many of us have already made a number of mistakes that you might avoid, for instance.

But mostly, it's fun.

+1 i always seem to learn something when reading progress threads and if i just wanted to see the finished guitar id just look at the GOTM gallary

This site's about PROJECT guitars, not just plain old guitars.

I mean, if I want to overdose on looking at guitars, there's plenty of that on the net.

But what I really like is watching how people's projects take shape over time. It's a very cool thing to witness.

I also find that posting the progress--or lack thereof--of my own builds encourages (all right, forces) me to try harder.

:D I agree with every one of you. I enjoy looking at people's projects and seeing how they come along. I was just curious to see if everyone else feels this way. Apparently they do. :D

I like seeing the finished guitar FIRST, then if it intrigues me, the progress pics and forum discussion leading up to it. For this reason, I would enjoy two seperate sections, "In Progress Work" and "Finished Work", where people could post progress pics and get feedback on concepts then once (if) they finish, they could post an entry similar to the ones in GOTM threads in the "Finished Work" section (someone brought it up that the same finished ones are featured in the GOTM, and I guess this sort of invalidates my point, although not everybody who finishes a guitar enters it..). Also, a lot of the stuff in our current In Progress and Finished section never gets started (mostly sketches of guitar shapes), and could fare just as well in the normal "Solid Body" or "Acoustic" sections.

But.. it's not my choice :D

I like seeing the finished guitar FIRST, then if it intrigues me, the progress pics and forum discussion leading up to it. For this reason, I would enjoy two seperate sections, "In Progress Work" and "Finished Work", where people could post progress pics and get feedback on concepts then once (if) they finish, they could post an entry similar to the ones in GOTM threads in the "Finished Work" section (someone brought it up that the same finished ones are featured in the GOTM, and I guess this sort of invalidates my point, although not everybody who finishes a guitar enters it..). Also, a lot of the stuff in our current In Progress and Finished section never gets started (mostly sketches of guitar shapes), and could fare just as well in the normal "Solid Body" or "Acoustic" sections.

But.. it's not my choice :D

I couldnt agree more. If its a strat build or somthing that is old news. I may skim it but not really pay much attention. If its somthing interesting then i'll follow it.

And for frig sakes im tired of the "this is what im gonna build" threads. Build it or paint it, then show us. Unless of course you are asking for design ideas.

"Finished Work",

That's called GOTM ...yeah, I know, not everyone enters. But it serves that purpose for me.

And for frig sakes im tired of the "this is what im gonna build" threads. Build it or paint it, then show us. Unless of course you are asking for design ideas.

Oh yeah, that one gets me too. But what you gonna do? People get excited about the idea of project, who am I to tell them what to post? Maybe they'll get around to building it one day --and maybe they'll at least update their thread instead of starting a new one.

What I've been doing in my latest project's thread is updating the first message with progress pics thumbnails --because that one seems to stay at the top of the page no matter what page it's on. This way people can just glance at that without having to bother to look through the rest (unless they really want).

I would enjoy two seperate sections, "In Progress Work" and "Finished Work"
I never thought of that, I think it's a good idea. :D And about the "this is what im gonna build" thread complaint....I might have to plead guilty. Although mine are usually about design ideas and research, I don't have any actual pics of my progress (although hopefully next week I'll have a finished project). But all the threads I have posted about "going to build" projects hopefully will take place, though maybe not soon. I am still young, and don't have unlimited money, so my projects have to wait until I have adequate funds (college takes up most of my money :D ). But I have done plenty of research on everything from wood to hardware and as soon as I do have money, I am ready to start my project.

• 1 month later...

What I dont really like is when the thread starts without pics, except a piece of maple and two pieces of alder. I think people should wait until there is something substantial to show.