Rattlecan Poly....is This Good?

Ive never used that kind of poly before but I know that the minwax stuff works rather well(at least for me).

Please remember that whenever your spraying anything to use a resperator or at the very least a VERY snug

dust mask.Some of that stuff can make you really sick and even kill you.

Wes

A dust mask will do nothing to protect you. In fact, it will make things worse, because you'll be taking deeper breaths through a dust mask.

The harmful stuff in these cans is in the form of gases, which will pass right through a dust mask.

The only thing to use is a respirator with properly rated filters. They're not expensive, fortuneatly--cost me 30 euros for the mask and two sets of filters (one for dust, the other for solvents). You do have to replace the filters from time to time though.

A dust mask will do nothing to protect you. In fact, it will make things worse, because you'll be taking deeper breaths through a dust mask.

The harmful stuff in these cans is in the form of gases, which will pass right through a dust mask.

I am using a nitro on a guitar that i am using do you think it is neccessary to use a respirator outside when sprayin deft or will a dust mask be enough?

Steve

I am using a nitro on a guitar that i am using do you think it is neccessary to use a respirator outside when sprayin deft or will a dust mask be enough?

Steve

Pretty much anything that comes out of a rattlecan is dangerous for your health. Nitro is especially poisonous, and a real pollution problem, that's why it's heavily regulated.

I wear my respirator all the time, whether I'm working with working with wood or with solvents (just change the filters of course). It's not uncomfortable and there's no point in getting any of this stuff into your lungs.

And I've given up working with solvent based finishes altogether. I've switched to a non-toxic oil varnish. Doesn't give exactly the same results, but that's fine --I'm not trying to emulate a factory-built guitar.

you can get properly rated (dust like masks for solevents and the like) Like the R95 rated masks. They remove more then 95% of airborne aresols.

"protection against certain oil and non-oil based particles including those present with nuisance levels of organic vapors*such as solvents, degreasers, and resigns". NIOSH approved R95 has at least a 95% filtration efficiency against solid and liquid aerosols including oils. The carbon layer provides relief from nuisance levels of organic vapors that do not exceed OSHA PEL levels."

There cheaper then the respirator and if your spraying outside it should be ok but make sure to contact 3m or what ever company your getting the mask from to make sure it is rated for the product your using.

But what i should really say is get a respirator. Your health is more important then saving a few bucks. Have fun finnishing that guitar though.

I noticed on the can that is "claims" non-yellowing. Be aware that ALL polyurethanes WILL yellow to some degree. If you are using it on a white finish and want to keep it a pristine snowy white, I would search for an alternative as it will most likely make it a vintage white in the end. Use a test piece to find out whether you can live with the final result. I speak from the experience of using the products myself, albiet in an interior finishing role. If you are not finishing over white, you most likely will not be able to notice any difference...Rog