Gibson Vs Fender

Forget about a Fender acoustic. They seem to just market those to fill out their catalog and catch the occasional unsuspecting Fender enthusiast. Martin is a safe bet, but try some names as well. For a lot less money you may find a very sweet sounding instrument. If money isn't a huge issue, consider a boutique brand like Santa Cruz. They are consistently well made...they don't make that many each year.

By the way, e-bay is a rugged place to buy an instrument unless you are willing to gamble. It is always best to actually hear the instrument you are considering.

In any case, best of luck.

I'm a real huge fan of the Seagull brand guitars that Godin makes. (At least, I think that's the name - they a have a picture of a bird on the headstock) I've played quite a few at the acoustic shop in town, and I've been thinking of picking one up one of these days - they sound and play amazingly for the money.

I played a $99 Squier acoustic in a shop a couple years ago. It was one of those "I wonder how crappy that thing is" moments. I was really surprised at how nice it played, and it didn't sound bad either.

Those Seagull guitars are nice. If I had to describe my impression of the sound, I'd say it had a big bottom end and not so much on top. Like your neighbor's wife. :D