Neck Pocket Depth + Eveness

When trying to shave a few mm off a neck pocket I used a sandpaper as I have no router and ended up with an uneven pocket.

I then tried to even it with a chizel and got carried away and went too deep.

Is there a good way to get a perfectly flat pocket without a router, and what would be the best method to bring the neck pocket back up to the correct depth.

Cheers

Chris

P.S

Please bear in mind this is my first guitar, (a strat) with no need for a neck angle. The more details that would help me, the better!

Edited by Chrisstrong_86

When trying to shave a few mm off a neck pocket I used a sandpaper as I have no router and ended up with an uneven pocket.

I then tried to even it with a chizel and got carried away and went too deep.

Is there a good way to get a perfectly flat pocket without a router, and what would be the best method to bring the neck pocket back up to the correct depth.

Cheers

Chris

P.S

Please bear in mind this is my first guitar, (a strat) with no need for a neck angle. The more details that would help me, the better!

Without a router, chisels are the best way to go - I know Boggs (another member on here), cuts his pockets like that. You need to be careful tho - I'm guessing you've realised that from your current work with a chisel.

To rectify - level off the pocket as you have it at the moment - get it flat with chisels. Work out how many mm you need to bring it up, then make a shim of that thickness and glue it into the neck pocket area, will bring it up to the correct depth.

I'm sure Boggs would give you some more pointers if you ask him (try a PM if he doesn't catch this thread).

When you get close to the depth with your chisel finish it with a scraper.

There is a very old tool which is basically a router. It has a flat base with a chisel with a crook in it. The chisel kinda looks like the end of a hockey stick. It allows you to get a flat bottom. Just an idea. and might be cheaper to come by. but then again a decent router can be had for under $100

There is a very old tool which is basically a router. It has a flat base with a chisel with a crook in it. The chisel kinda looks like the end of a hockey stick. It allows you to get a flat bottom. Just an idea. and might be cheaper to come by. but then again a decent router can be had for under $100

A router plane...sometimes called an 'Old Woman's Tooth'

They can usually be had for a few pounds on ebay but they are usually better suited to much smaller work like inlaying/marquetry.

A power router really is the best bet, you could get reasonable results as mentioned with chisels, files, scrapers, blocks of paper with sandpaper stuck to them but unless you're well practiced with hand tools it's a difficult ask (imo)

If doing it this way hog out most of the material with a drill/forstner bit then all you really have left to do is clean up the sides.

wwood