Relic Bass

Today whilst waiting for the england game to start i decided i'd relic my hohner jazz bass, because, well, why not. i liked the way my jimi strat looked and felt after i did that so i thought id see if i could do it any better. so before and after the match (i should have done it during too!) i reliced my jazz bass. the wear on the fretboard could do to be a bit darker but im pretty happy with my few hours work.

front

body front

fingerboard (hard to see)

body again

and again

fretboard again

back

neck

body back

and again

Edited by hooglebug

i just used sandpaper for everything. i dulled the finish first, then sanded the wear spots - contours etc. then i did the neck, again with sandpaper, then gave it a few whacks with a screwdriver and a big heavy file. i tried cracking the finish with the compressed air again, and again nothing. o well. and thats about it i think. though considering it was 90 degrees in the garage while i was doing it and sweat was dripping off me just standing there, it was a herculean effort! hehe

i think this one has come out better than the strat mainly because of all the paint layers that were on that one. if there was just one layer of paint on the strat it would have been much better.

one day i might decide to do some work on the hardware on the bass, its all a bit too shiney for a relic, but not for now.

I like! :D

Looks pretty authentic.

Good job you did it before the game and not after; I could imagine the relicing might be a lot more agressive :D

BTW: coincidentally I was also in wakefield today, and watched the game at a friends house

Edited by Ben

i have no idea if they do or not, i don't really play it too much. i just wanted to try it on a maple fretboard - i always thought it looked pretty cool.

and ben - i was fully expecting that result so it wouldnt really have mattered. in fact, i should have put some money on it. i predicted rooney would get frustrated and get sent off, and also it would go to penalties and we'd lose. all well before the game started. damn. why didnt i put money on it.

Edited by hooglebug

Do basses really get fretboard wear? I mean its from your fingers touching the fretboard and on basses the strings are so big I don't think they ever touch the fretboard, It does look good though.

They certainly do. I can't say anything about professionals, but I know most people that are new to bass play too hard. There was lots of wear on my first bass, and very little on my newest. It's a different story with the G, C, F+ strings.

but keep in mind that you have to follow some rules when relicing guitars!

Rules for a fake? :D

But yeah, the guitar looks like..well, like you sanded it down. Maybe try rubbing at the spots really hard and for a really long time with something akin to sweaty human flesh will get you closer?