New Bandsaw

AlGeeEater

Hey guys, just bought this bandsaw. It's a 3/4 hp 14" Ridgid bandsaw. It retails for 350$, but Home Depot gave me 10% off because it was a floor model, the only one they had left. So I bought it for 315$, and the service contract thing was 50 bucks, so I have a warranty on this thing for 7 years, for 15 dollars. Not bad eh? This thing cuts like BUTTER. I'm having a little problem with the blade twisting a bit when I cut, but this thing needs some adjustments anyways.

Now I just gotta find room for it in the shop. :D

DSC02210.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC02212.jpg

This thing is built like a ROCK. Real solid, real heavy (had to pull it out of the truck myself and move it to the garage myself, what a b!tch). I would totally recommend it to somebody who is just getting there first bandsaw (if they have the room). Great machine, i'm pleased. :D

Chris

The reason it was twisting was because of many things. Mostly because this thing wasnt set up properly and to my liking (Home Depot probaly assembled it). I found that the belt connecting the motor to the wheel blade was mis-aligned, the guide blocks where improperly spaced, the support bearing was too far from the blade, and too much to the right of the blade (same things with the lower blade guides). I got it all set-up now, and it's running great. Just waiting for my new blades to come in.

What caused the blade to turn often on me, was the ball bearings not adjusted. Luckily I realized this after my first cut and I adjust the ball bearings after every cut I make. Mainly because nearly everything I cut is a different thickness.

Good luck figuring out how the band saw works, once you master it, it's actually a very fun tool to use.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I thought about the 10" Delta too, but then I realized I had the cash, and well a bigger bandsaw can't hurt right? :D

Jon i've got it all mastered, set up and kick @ss now. I love this thing, it cuts like a hot knife through butter. :D

Erik it sure does! I cut the top out for the LP on this thing, took me a total of 3 minutes to cut them BOTH out. With a jig saw it probaly would have taken me 30 minutes. It's definatly changes everything, time is money!!

Chris