Gfs?

Aharon

I have an Epiphone Standard LP,my one problem with it is the pups sound kind of muddy to my taste.

I have a Gibson from a 335 and a GFS Fat PAF bridge.

The Gibson I know will be ok but do you guys think the GFS would be an improvement over the stock Epi?

Thanks for any tips /help.

Aharon

I'm not familiar with your guitar, but I had an Epiphone SG a long while back. Pickups sounded overly muddy to my tastes, at least when they weren't being microphonic. Swapped 'em out for a GFS, (A 59 PAF-type model, I don't know if it was specifically the Fat PAF) and I liked the sound much better. Granted, their are better pickups out there, but there are better guitars out there as well, I'd feel wierd spending almost as much on the p'ups as I did for the guitar. If you've got both p'ups on hand, I'd try 'em both, see what you like better. But short answer, yeah, in my opnion I like most of the GFS pickups I've tried better than the stock Epiphone pickups I've tried. That said, I haven't played new epiphone in quite sometime, they may very well have better pickups now.

I'm not familiar with your guitar, but I had an Epiphone SG a long while back. Pickups sounded overly muddy to my tastes, at least when they weren't being microphonic. Swapped 'em out for a GFS, (A 59 PAF-type model, I don't know if it was specifically the Fat PAF) and I liked the sound much better. Granted, their are better pickups out there, but there are better guitars out there as well, I'd feel wierd spending almost as much on the p'ups as I did for the guitar. If you've got both p'ups on hand, I'd try 'em both, see what you like better. But short answer, yeah, in my opnion I like most of the GFS pickups I've tried better than the stock Epiphone pickups I've tried. That said, I haven't played new epiphone in quite sometime, they may very well have better pickups now.

Thanks for the advice.

Aharon

i used to got two guitars with gfs pups !

one ibanez rg321mh with fixed bridge and a gfs crusader on the bridge ! kicks ass ! i liked the sound a lot ! i actually liked it better than my other guitar with a seymour duncan JB at the bridge !

and a SX with the 60s repro pickups or whatever they are called ! that a cool sound ! :D i sold the guitar to a all single coils guy, who used to get guitars with Fralins and texas special pups, and it just loved the tone, so it cant be bad !

so, i think gfs sells amazing pups for the price ! its a shame i dont get any more guitars to put some in B) now i just got a ibanez jem jr, with gotoh floyd and all seymour duncans pups :D

...do you guys think the GFS would be an improvement over the stock Epi?

Personally, I think darn near anything would be better than those stock Epi pickups (but that's just me...). All the GFS pickups I've heard sound pretty good, and are great value for the money - sure. you can buy better, but not for the price!

Out of curiosity, are you the Aharon that hangs out over at AX84?

...do you guys think the GFS would be an improvement over the stock Epi?

Personally, I think darn near anything would be better than those stock Epi pickups (but that's just me...). All the GFS pickups I've heard sound pretty good, and are great value for the money - sure. you can buy better, but not for the price!

Out of curiosity, are you the Aharon that hangs out over at AX84?

Thanks again for the advice.So that's it,I'm changing the pups,Gibby on the neck and the GFS for bridge.

Yes ...that's me, same Aharon from the Ax84.

Hiyadoin'?

Tx

Aharon

Edited by Aharon

Thanks again for the advice.So that's it,I'm changing the pups,Gibby on the neck and the GFS for bridge.

Yes ...that's me, same Aharon from the Ax84.

Hiyadoin'?

Tx

Aharon

Guess it's a little late, and you're interested in humbuckers anyway, but... I've got a GFS P-90 in one of my guitars. It's a fine sounding pickup, especially through a bright (Fender) amp. I don't like it as much through my Line 6, but then I don't really like anything through that amp.

GFS pickups use high quality materials. Their price is lower because the labor is Korean. The single coils are supposed to be hand-guided, and if that is true, those Koreans can really lay down an incredible coil.

Higher price doesn't always mean higher quality. But if you believe the opposite, buy a boutique pickup from some guy that winds pickups in his garage hoping you will think his inept and sloppy winding "process" has some sort of magic that will give you "the sound" you have been looking for. If you pay enough he might even sprinkle it with pixie dust to insure it.

Hey, you never know - the planets may just be in that correct alignment for it to happen. But if that were true you may be better off buying a lottery ticket.

But it's your call. Any rational approach on this subject is never going to happen, and on the internet it will always be deemed personal preference so as not to hurt feelings - and that's what keeps the "less than adequate" in business.

And I can say this because I have paid my dues, paying for pickups that don't deliver anything except the name of the maker.

What's the best way to do this?

HAve done a lot of strats but never an LP.I guess,the connection at the switch,I'm not sure how the guitar is wired,there's a couple of clip on connectors inside the control cavity.

Please advice.

Thanks

Aharon

Got it!!.Sounds a lot more focused,brighter with cleans and less splatter with distortion.

Simple if you've done it before,I did not want to screw up the guitar...anywho,

just in case somebody wants a step by step look here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?do...mp;src=3SOSWXXA

Aharon

For what it's worth, I have used GFS for both Fender style single coils and PAF humbuckers. They were fine pickups for the money, but I ended up replacing them both. The single coil pickups were just too bright and jarring. Ironically the PAFs were a little muddy.

They are fine pickups, and an improvement on stock pickups that come with most low end guitars. However, you will probably not be "amazed" by these pickups.

Just my $.02