Wood Glue For Inlays?

The search function isn't bringing up anything, and everywhere I've read it seems like epoxy is the glue of choice for dot markers.

But I really don't like the stuff --I much prefer wood glue.

Is possible to use wood glue with pearl inlays? Again these are dot markers and they fit pretty snugly into their cavities.

I've never tried to use wood glue for inlay. I just read the label on my bottle of Titebond and it says it is designed for adhering hard and soft wood and other porous material. I don't think MOP is porous, but then again, this application isn't going to be under stress so I don't see why a drop of wood glue wouldn't hold a MOP dot in a tight fitting hole.

For inlay, I use the medium thickness CA. No mixing, easy to control and dries very quickly.

I'm not really sure wood glue will give you the best bond. I think epoxy and super glue would be a much better choice, although I'm not saying you can't use wood glue. I've never used Titebond to glue in any inlay, so I'm not versed enough to tell you if it'd work good enough or not. I usually use epoxy for inlays. The dot inlays can be kinda hard to place if you've already filled the inlay cavities with glue. I've seen a Taylor guitar video, where they first place the inlay dot first, then use thin superglue over it, and it seeps down around the inlay once it's soaked good, and this really does a great job without a big mess. I'm planning on trying it on my next build with dot inlays.

I'm not really sure wood glue will give you the best bond. I think epoxy and super glue would be a much better choice, although I'm not saying you can't use wood glue. I've never used Titebond to glue in any inlay, so I'm not versed enough to tell you if it'd work good enough or not. I usually use epoxy for inlays. The dot inlays can be kinda hard to place if you've already filled the inlay cavities with glue. I've seen a Taylor guitar video, where they first place the inlay dot first, then use thin superglue over it, and it seeps down around the inlay once it's soaked good, and this really does a great job without a big mess. I'm planning on trying it on my next build with dot inlays.

My real worry is how easy it will be to sand off the mess around it? Which is easier to clean up, superglue or epoxy? The Taylor trick sounds good though.

I have experimented with wood glue for this type of application. It does work, but I wouldn't recommend it. It does have limitations and drawback. What is it about epoxy that you don't like?

Mostly that I'm not sure I'll get the mix right, so it won't harden properly. I'll think I'll go with superglue instead, since there's no mixing involved.

I have experimented with wood glue for this type of application. It does work, but I wouldn't recommend it. It does have limitations and drawback. What is it about epoxy that you don't like?

Mostly that I'm not sure I'll get the mix right, so it won't harden properly. I'll think I'll go with superglue instead, since there's no mixing involved.

This is really not hard to do. Just get the 2 tube epoxy and sqeeze evenly. As long as your even close you won't have a problem. My favorite epoxy is some stuff made my superglue corp, and is sold at home depot for about $2.50 a tube. Get the 20 minute kind in the blue container. This is the best stuff I've tried.