Amp Volume Box / Power Soak

GodBlessTexas

OK, I picked up a Peavey 5150 212 combo a little over a week ago, and I love it. The only problem is it is way too loud for home use. I've seen volume boxes for sale on ebay for ~$20 that fit in the effects loop, and my suspicion is that it's nothing more than an audio pot and two 1/4" jacks in a project box.

Does anyone know anything about these boxes?

Are they just an audio taper pot and two jacks in a project box?

Does anyone know of an existing schematic if they are more than that?

The seller's website is here.

Edited to add that I know this isn't a power soak, which sits between the power amp and the speaker.

GBT

Don't know about that particular one, but it probably is just a pot (I used to use the input/output volume on my rack f/x to control the volume via the f/x loop). If you have a post-phase inverter f/x loop (on a Marshall, anyway), it will give you a little more "something", but it's not the same as power tube distortion.

There are power-scaling solutions out there that do more, but I'd say get a Hotplate or Weber MASS attenuator (or find a good DIY attenuator schematic, if you're so inclined) if you want to get the power tubes working for you.

Mike

Right. This basically is what you say, a pot in the FX loop. Now, this will only work if you have a series effects loop. although it could possibly work in a parallel one if you put the mix upto 100% wet. Basically you're bleeding off a bit of the preamp output to ground before it gets to the poweramp. This ISNT the same as a hotplate or marshall power attenuator. These bleed off the power POST power amp.

That said, it's quite a good idea. Basically it lowers the volume output of the preamp so your poweramp has to work harder to make up the same volume.

Don't buy one. You can make one for about $10 anyway. And then use the parts for something else if you don't like it.

That said some amps (i know the peavey JSX can) has effects send and return levels. so you can use a jump lead and effectivly use the effects loop on/off as a switchable boost or cut. might be worth taking a look behind your amp with a jump lead before buying one :D

S

Right. This basically is what you say, a pot in the FX loop. Now, this will only work if you have a series effects loop. although it could possibly work in a parallel one if you put the mix upto 100% wet. Basically you're bleeding off a bit of the preamp output to ground before it gets to the poweramp. This ISNT the same as a hotplate or marshall power attenuator. These bleed off the power POST power amp.

Yeah. If there is no send/return levels you can more or less assume the loop is a series one. And the box should work fine. Just wire the pot in the same way you would a guitar volume control and connect one end to the in and one to the out jack.

If you want to get a proper hotplate or such attenuator all you need to do is snip the cables to the speakers very close to the speaker, whack a jack on the end of it, put some new cable on the speaker with a jack on the end of that and plug in :D simple!

you could put the knob on the side of the said project box, and mount it to the combo :D would be easier to carry round, not to mention looking well cool B)

S

I might do that speaker wiring modification if the volume pot thing doesn't work out. Speaking of which, what pot rating do you think would be best? I've got 25k, 250k, 500k, and 1Meg pots lying around. I guess I could just play around with it, but I'm thinking a 500k or 1Meg pot would be appropriate.

GBT

OK, I picked up a Peavey 5150 212 combo a little over a week ago, and I love it. The only problem is it is way too loud for home use. I've seen volume boxes for sale on ebay for ~$20 that fit in the effects loop, and my suspicion is that it's nothing more than an audio pot and two 1/4" jacks in a project box.

Does anyone know of an existing schematic if they are more than that?

The seller's website is here.

Edited to add that I know this isn't a power soak, which sits between the power amp and the speaker.

GBT

Well, the Ebay ads claim it is a power soak, which is baloney.

Yes, it's just a couple of jacks, a pot and a box. I put a page on my website about building one, although that's not what I use it for and not why I built it.

New to the forum, glad to be here.