Curious About Asymmetrical Neck Profiles

I've been trying to find out more about asymmetrical neck profiles and I was wondering what experience others have with them.

I realize that this is a matter of personal taste but are they comfortable to play?

Are they better for one style vs. another style of play (thumb over the neck vs. thumb at the center of the neck)?

Has anyone built one?

THANKS!

I havent played the thing yet, but I did one on the guitar I'm currently building and I really like the way it feels.

I made it thicker on the bass side for the low frets (1-5 ish), and thicker on the treble side for the high frets (12+ish), with a graduation inbetween.

I decided to do it like that by studyingt the position in which I hold my hand as I play the guitar.

I made it thicker on the bass side for the low frets (1-5 ish), and thicker on the treble side for the high frets (12+ish), with a graduation inbetween.

I decided to do it like that by studyingt the position in which I hold my hand as I play the guitar.

Did I get that right? You changed the contour as you went up the neck from thick on the bass side to thick on the treble side? Regardless, do you have an pics you can share?

I decided to do it like that by studying the position in which I hold my hand as I play the guitar.

Did I get that right? You changed the contour as you went up the neck from thick on the bass side to thick on the treble side? Regardless, do you have an pics you can share?

Yeah thats right. No pics unfortunately and I cant take any for a few days, but heres a diagram to make it completely clear:

neckti7.jpg

The first pic is meant to represent a normal V-profile neck, and the 2nd is mine.

The red line is meant to be the highest point of the neck.

Obviously its not nearly as pronounced as it is in that diagram

Maybe if you are considering different neck profiles you could use some scrap wood and rough some out to get a feel for them first hand?

I havent played the thing yet, but I did one on the guitar I'm currently building and I really like the way it feels.

All my necks are asymmetrical, rounder on the bass side than on the treble side, everything evening out slightly as I move up the neck (don't tend to thumb-over that much that high up.) The middle remains fairly flat, so it's equally comfortable for thumb-over and proper classical technique, but more comfy (feels smaller than it is) for thumb-over playing.

The best picture I've got (of a neck in progress) that shows what I'm talking about is this one:

stratele78.jpg

Yeah thats right. No pics unfortunately and I cant take any for a few days, but heres a diagram to make it completely clear:

Obviously its not nearly as pronounced as it is in that diagram

Maybe if you are considering different neck profiles you could use some scrap wood and rough some out to get a feel for them first hand?

Interesting. What your usual thumb position when you're playing?

On the lower frets I tend to hold my hand in the same kind of position as mattia in that photo, with my thumb over the top. As I play higher up the fretboadrd my hand seems to naturally rotate a bit so that my thumb is closer to the center (but still closer to the bass side than the treble)

This is hard to describe in writing!

Thanks for the diagram! That's a pretty interesting take on the idea which I'm guessing is somewhat unusual. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen the profiles on most asymmetrical necks tend to stay the same up and down the neck. (Really - correct me if I'm wrong smile.gif )

Yeah it is unusual and I think most do have it consistant along the neck

You can buy contour gauge things to do that job. They're probably simpler.

They only cost about £2-£3 at the shop near me.

You can buy contour gauge things to do that job. They're probably simpler.

They only cost about £2-£3 at the shop near me.

The first ever asymmetrical neck contour was probably from a luthier who actually messed up and took too much wood away from one side of the neck.. lol So, instead of saying it was a mistake, he claimed it as the best thing since sliced bread, and gave it a groovy name, wrote articles about it on his webpage, etc. Actually it's suprisingly not patented by now.. :D Enough history though.....

I have actually been thinking about building a asymetrical fingerboard. The treble side would be a flatter radius, and the bass side more round. I'm patenting it right now though, so don't steal my ideas.. haha The patent actually is pending, because I ran out of money.. :D

I have actually been thinking about building a asymetrical fingerboard. The treble side would be a flatter radius, and the bass side more round. I'm patenting it right now though, so don't steal my ideas.. haha The patent actually is pending, because I ran out of money.. :D

Well, you can always give it some funky name and trademark that (the name, not the idea). Something like: Contour-o-Board or AsymFret :D