Building Custom Pedals

donbenjy

did you make the pcb layout yourself paul? i dont recall ever seeing one on my travels.

You can get a PCB layout here: http://www.geocities.com/diygescorp/ - it's what I used to make mine.

I think I'm gonna get my girlfriend to paint it ZVex style & call it the Possum The 2 red LEDs can be the eyes!

That would be cute. I just finished my Jordan BossTone pedal. I used an airbrush and made the enclosure look like a zebra. I'll post a picture of it tonight. :D

OK, here are a few pics. The enclosure had some kind of electronics in it, but it was gutted before it was given to me. I designed the PCB. I decided to try airbrushing an enclosure for kicks - this is what I came up with on a whim...

BT-Side1.JPG

BT-Side2.JPG

BT-Back1.JPG

BT-Top.JPG

BT-Ins1.JPG

BT-Ins2.JPG

does anyone know how to test current draw on a pedal (well of course you do :D) I've tried it in series and parellel with the battery and it still comes up with 0A on the multimeter set at 200uA- DC!!! I've tried it while strumming the guitar and everything, but nothing happens! :S I assume it goes in the the path of the power, rather than the signal path? If I can't find it, anyone know what the typical current draw will be for a dual opamp circuit then? (like 10ma or 100ma for example) cos I don't wanna overload my power block thing! Although My distortion draws about 24ma and the wah is 300ma so I guess with something of the same nature, it'll be small! I'll be ok if it's under 100ma

Edited by donbenjy

How can I measure how much current my pedal is drawing?

From F Peña:

You have to interrupt the circuit measure current.

Do this:

Set your DMM on DC/mA.

Plug only the - side of the battery to the battery snap.

On the + contact of the battery, touch the red probe and on the free

contact of the battery snap touch the black one.

You should get the reading on the meter this way.

[taken from http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html ]

and tonemonkey, those are just dpdt switches - and mighty expensive too :D

cheers, that's what I was doing though! Maybe i didn't get a good connection or something...I'm currently about 80% finished with the stripboard now, so I'll test it off that. I decided to solder the Ic direct to the board, and it doesn't smell or look scorched - my soldering iron tend to create little balls of solder if I tin it too much so i used them and just dropped them onto the legs. Is there a surefire way of testing the chip to see if it works short of actually building the circuit in full?

Yeah cheers for the link, but I'm gonna get everything I need from small bear once I get back from iceland :D

to be honest, you'll be lucky if dropping balls of solder onto it made a good solid joint, as the component that you're soldering is meant to melt the solder - not the soldering iron.