repairing large chips

I have a friend asking if it is possible to repair a couple of large chips in the body of his guitar, which appears to be a poly finish rather than nitro, anyone have any experience of whether this can be repaired or is he looking at a complete refinish ? I have a little experience of patching small dings with superglue but these are way too big for that. I did read somewhere that it might be possible using a nitro repair stick but I'm doubtful myself.

Paul

If it's a clear thick finish, you could drop some poly in there, let it dry, build up, sand and buff. Or even use polyester resin, it's catalyzed to set up and build fast, sand and buff. If it's a color, you'll need to find a touch up paint in the closest color. Most auto parts stores carry the DupliColor line of touch up in a lot of colors. Nail polish type bottle. Build up the chip with the closest color and finish off with this...

http://www.langka.com/newsite/index2.html

It's like a compound but cuts the touch up nice and flush if done correctly. The paint must be totally dry. I own a touch up business using the Imac/Langka products. The best stuff out there. Good luck.

Oh, looks like Butnut has some pretty good advice - makes mine pretty redundant :D Still I'll leave it here anyway...

***Original post***

What kind of finish is it - ie opaque, transparent, matte, gloss etc?

If he's missing the chips it could be tough. I was going to suggest CA (superglue) but that seems to have been eliminated as a possibility. How deep are the dings? Is the finish all gone down to bare wood?

• 1 year later...