Rough Shaping A Hard Ash Body W/out A Bandsaw?

Hello all! I'm new here because I finally decided to make the leap into guitar building. :D I'm going to try to male a traditional 'strat' style guitar so I can use my present guitar as a template and I can easily buy a neck in case my first neck comes out horribly.

For the body, I got some hard ash from a local supplier (it was pretty cheap <$3/bd ft for 8/4 stuff) so I thought I'd give that a try. I don't have a bandsaw though, so I figured I'd try to cut the rough outline with a jig saw . . . which didn't work at all. :D Granted, the jig saw is an older (>10 years) model and only ~2.5 amps. That wood is way harder to cut then I anticipated!! I searched for threads about hard ash and I didn't seem to run across any that involved cutting it.

How else do you think I can cut the outline?? Would a more powerful saw be able to cut the ash?? Can you use a jig saw on other traditional guitar woods like mahogany or alder??

Thanks for your help!

Hello all! I'm new here because I finally decided to make the leap into guitar building. :D I'm going to try to male a traditional 'strat' style guitar so I can use my present guitar as a template and I can easily buy a neck in case my first neck comes out horribly.

For the body, I got some hard ash from a local supplier (it was pretty cheap <$3/bd ft for 8/4 stuff) so I thought I'd give that a try. I don't have a bandsaw though, so I figured I'd try to cut the rough outline with a jig saw . . . which didn't work at all. :D Granted, the jig saw is an older (>10 years) model and only ~2.5 amps. That wood is way harder to cut then I anticipated!! I searched for threads about hard ash and I didn't seem to run across any that involved cutting it.

How else do you think I can cut the outline?? Would a more powerful saw be able to cut the ash?? Can you use a jig saw on other traditional guitar woods like mahogany or alder??

Thanks for your help!

you should be able to cut your body with a jig saw as long as you take your time and have plenty of new, sharp blades...don't try to cut real close to your outline and again, take your time. jig saw blades, especially dull ones will warp with the heat of cutting a hard wood like ash and your will not cut straight thru. with new blades..and i'd use a rough cut blade..not a finish blade..you should be fine.

good luck

If it's anything like the ash I bought (european ash), then yeah, this stuff is difficult to cut. But I used my jig saw for the rough cut, then cleaned it up with a router/template/bearing bit.

Also, it's a really heavy wood --so you might think twice about building a guitar with it, unless you're planning on hollowing it out. Even still, it's really heavy stuff, it might not be what you're looking for.

If it's anything like the ash I bought (european ash), then yeah, this stuff is difficult to cut. But I used my jig saw for the rough cut, then cleaned it up with a router/template/bearing bit.

Also, it's a really heavy wood --so you might think twice about building a guitar with it, unless you're planning on hollowing it out. Even still, it's really heavy stuff, it might not be what you're looking for.

Well, I wanted to try it because it was cheap . . . I got a 12' x 8' x 2" board for about the price of a standard alder body blank. If it doesn't work out for a guitar, or I make one and it sounds like crap, I'll just use the rest for a bookshelf or something. I don't mind the weight so much . . . I'm a big guy (6'5" and 250 lbs) so 10-11 lbs is no big deal if it sounds OK. We'll see I guess :D

Edited by fyb

In regards to jig-sawing. Get your hands on a thicker, more robust blade for cutting

thick materials such as guitar bodies. (It provides a truer right-angled cut))

Using average gauged blades can cause that blade to bend,and in doing so,

under-cut your template/marks. Which also causes an ugly, angled cut downwards.

To be avoided where possible. :D

I don't have a bandsaw though, so I figured I'd try to cut the rough outline with a jig saw . . . which didn't work at all.

Pick-up yellow pages.....and search under woodworking and/or furniture companies in your area. Most of them have bandsaws available. Mostly for six pack or so, you can cut all the wood you want. You might make some new friends too. Just ask around and you will be surprised to find one closer to your home then you think.

I use a jig saw for most my rough cutting on body blanks. Try to find the tad longer cutting blades, this helps cutting through the wood. Clean up with router bit.

For cutting neck blanks, I mostly arrange a date with a local bandsaw.

fitting%20a%20new%20bandsaw.JPG