Installing Tom?

Two quick questions. Is there any decent information out there on installing a tune-o-matic type bridge. I did a quick search on the site and googled it, but no real quality information has popped up.

For guitar I'm building for my brother, I'm thinking installing a TOM type bridge. I'm comfortable with using and installing OFR and Ibanez Edge Edge Pro type bridges, but this TOM keeps me puzzled.

Questions I'm struggling with:

* The TOM bridge is installed at an angle. This is done to be able to have propper intonation of guitar. Question now, at what angle is this installed?

* When searching for propper TOM bridge I see spring spreads advertised of 2 1/16" and/or 2 3/64". Is this the spread when correctly installed at the appropriate angle, or just the spring spread when TOM is like out of the box.

* Is there any merit to the locking studs that TonePros is marketing?

:D

Edited by RGGR

I did a quick search on the site and googled it, but no real quality information has popped up.

And yet....this topic has been covered many times. The StewMac Fret Scale Calculator will give you all the information you need.

I believe there are wider TOMs that eliminate the need for the angle, because they allow more travel for the saddles.

As for the spring spread, it makes sense that takes in account the angle of the TOM. Schaller makes a roller TOM with adjustable string spread too, although it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Unless you like gold hardware.

My take on the TonePros thing is it's a lot of hype. Way too expensive for what it is too. But Wilkinson's latest stuff all seems to have locking studs, at more reasonable pricing.

And yet....this topic has been covered many times.

I know..... but searching for TOM in search engine didn't work. Google didn't give much either.

Using the word "TonePro"in search engine on this site did gave me some good answers.

Thanks guys.

I've got a factory fitted TonePros TOM on my Maton electric.

No problems there.

I dunno about the pricing and such......... but it's a good design and works as intended. :D