frustraited

blackjack

ive ben playing for about a year now, and been taking lessons in classical acoustic. so far i dont know any songs all the way through, just little peices i learn each week, for my lessons.

the problem is that i dont feel like im getting anywhere. i want to play rock, but i dont have any direction, i dont know what to learn or where to go from where i am.

ive invested too much time and money to give up, and i just dont want to give up. i really want to play.

i dont really know what im expecting you to say, or why im posting this at all. but does anyone have any advice?

i feel your pain man.all i can tell you is i have never had a music lesson in my life.what i did was i bought the tab for my favorite album(kill em all)which was also a great beginner album to learn.i put the tape in,read the tab,and muddled through it.

the best way to practice as a beginner(imo) is to learn whole songs.start easy,nirvana is really simple.if you don't enjoy whsat you are playing you won't continue.

it is a long road but it is really worth it

by the way we all get into ruts from time to time.you just have to pull yourself out of it and practice,practice,practice.my first 4 years i never missed a days practice.minimum 2 hours a day,sometimes 6 or 7.then i fell into my own rut which lasted about 5 years,and then i pulled my ass out and started learning again.now i am looking for something new to keep me learning.

Classical technique will give you a great foundation and appreciatio of the fretboard. The classical stuff can give you a solid foundation on what notes go together, harmony and construction of what you're playing.

That said... I played French Horn in schools orchestras till I was about 15, and took up guitar at 14. Never had a guitar lesson, learned by playing along with my favourite records (or trying to anyway).

I lsater founda couple of useful books - one on rhythm guitar playing (by Harvey Vinson I think) and one on jazz chords (Arthritis helps for some of those shapes.)

As has been said, with a basic armoury of techniques under your belt, the fastest progress came when I started playing music with a friend - we helped each other along, eventually forming a band that lasted 10 years and with collaborations still going on some 20 years later. There is no substitute for playing with other musicians. I can't read tab - but can read 'real' music (Tab has a line too many - been reading music FAR too long to learn a new line!)

Ultimately, unless you can at least start to play what you like as well as learning these techniques, you will grow discouraged - or worse bored - and give up. SO start learning the stuff you like as well, eventually you will be able to combine the two and become a very interesting and versatile musician.

Or just sit down and play. Anything that comes into your mind. You don't even need to copy anything exactly; just play 'something like that'. One good practice thingy is you choose a pattern - for example blues - then play two measures of chords then two measures of improvisation. You really gotta take it easy, time is on your side. :D