This Is Unbelievable!

I was reading this guitar magazine (can't remember which... but it's one that Barnes and Nobles carries) and read an article about this new Veillette Archtop Guitar. It's a solid body wood back routed to be fully hollow, then with a carved and braced top on it, and archtop style bridge with tailpiece. IE: It's pretty much a Myka Dragonfly from another company. Which isn't what strikes me as bad... what they SAID in the article is what set me off. It's a BRAND NEW model from them, and this magazine (I don't know if Viellette told them this, or if the magazine infered it due to lack of good research) but they were talking about how revolutionary it is, and how Viellette is paving the way with this 'first-of-it's-kind' guitar. And I was like... "um... if this is a brand new model from them, then Myka's been doing this WAY longer, and that makes the BS they're throwing out about this being something and a load of crock!" Either way, none of the above is QUOTES from the article, but it's definately an accurate paraphrasing. I was appauled to say the least.

Chris

Haven't you realized that this is what's going on every day in the guitar world. Every time someone thinks of an idea, they totally neglect researching it to see if it's old news, and then they pat themselves on the back for being a genius. It's a disgusting methodology, but that's how it works.

Yeah, but have they been doing it with a arched braced top? I know they haave that LP "acoustic" piezo no magnetics thing.... but I got the impression the top wasn't carved into too and braced. As for Godin, I think they have been doing it awhile, but 20 years doesn't come to mind? Either way, this just goes to show, even those outraged by this and see a bigger history don't even have the FULL history!

Chris

I didn't read the article, but there's nothing new about the construction. It certainly didn't originate with Myka. And Joe Veillette isn't claiming he invented it.

What's unusual about it is that it's a very small bodied archtop. It's only 12 1/4" across, like Joes other lines. Not 16" or 17" like the typical archtop.

Joe has been building guitars and basses for a living for over 30 years. It's not like he just started up and stole someone else's idea.

It's an article in a guitar magazine. When is the last time you read a NEGATIVE non-fawning review of any product in one of those magazines? The most you'll get is a couple of silly little 'criticism's so that the rest of their pandering and ass-kissing seems more legit. Basically, these magazines (well, most magazines) only survive through advertising ...now, who advertises in a guitar mag? Right.

Anyway, Myka's not selling a revolution, he's selling really beautifully designed, extraordinarily crafted guitars...his market isn't the magazine crowd, it's people coming to him for a custom, hand-crafted guitar. He's got nothing to worry about.

Now, heel boy! :D