Wood inlay

I inadvertantly bought a really bad incomplete mahogany Tele off EBay recently. Basically the body looks as if it came straight off the band saw (with semi jagged edges), the pickup channels have no holes for the wires to run, and the edges aren't radiused. I have since commited it my ever expanding project items.

...and the guy said it was ready to be laquered... :D

Anyway point being it that it looks nice, but needs a lot of work, so I was thinking of ideas to spruce it up. One of the ideas came from partially my recently sold Jackson Scott Ian JJ pinstripe model and the pink(?) pinstripe tele in the new fender catalog. My idea was to make pinstripes but inlay them into the body. I've always liked the look of curly maple and mahogany, and I thought that would be a slick combo.

Has anyone ever inlayed one piece of wood with another? Do I have to worry about warping or shrinkage B) , eh...you know what I mean. Are there any downsides to doing it this way? Should I use thin laminate material or thicker wood? Or should I go with a veneer and laminate it to my existing body?

What do you think?

<--- purple heart inlays on basswood

you talking about something like that? the guitar doesn't sound to bad, drill 2 holes for the pickup wire isn't exactly "hard" some people might want to do it a bit differently. but... the sides and edges... shoulda been sanded down smooth me thinks....