Pine Hardwood?

Well i can't say i have ever been tempted to use pine for any sort of guitar building and i never thought i would until finding something today at school.

My teacher said it was something that goes by the name of "sugar pine". It looks nothing like the usual knotty crap we generally recognise as pine but has a sort of shine to it and has small knots or something similar that resemble birdseye maple.

From cutting into it too see what it was like i realised it was very hard, heavy and potentially a new bolt on neck for me.

Any ideas as to whether this would will be suitable?

Cheers :D

Well i can't say i have ever been tempted to use pine for any sort of guitar building and i never thought i would until finding something today at school.

My teacher said it was something that goes by the name of "sugar pine". It looks nothing like the usual knotty crap we generally recognise as pine but has a sort of shine to it and has small knots or something similar that resemble birdseye maple.

From cutting into it too see what it was like i realised it was very hard, heavy and potentially a new bolt on neck for me.

Was used on the original 1950s Broadcaster/Esquire bodies by Fender if I remember correctly - anyway, it's a lovely wood to use, suitable as a body wood, and also possibly as a neck wood too. Would take it for a neck if quartersawn, or flatsawn with graphite rods.

Was used on the original 1950s Broadcaster/Esquire bodies by Fender if I remember correctly - anyway, it's a lovely wood to use, suitable as a body wood, and also possibly as a neck wood too. Would take it for a neck if quartersawn, or flatsawn with graphite rods.

I found only enough for a bolt on neck so i will give it a try. It looks very nice, but nobody seems to sell it when i looked at supplies today so i will have to see if there is more in the wood pile tomorrow.

Cheers for the info !

I found only enough for a bolt on neck so i will give it a try. It looks very nice, but nobody seems to sell it when i looked at supplies today so i will have to see if there is more in the wood pile tomorrow.

Cheers for the info !

I dont know where in Oz youre from, but these guys are in Melbuorne and Sydney

clicky

dayvo :D