Drum Machine Software

thrasher!

Does anyone know of any free "drum machine" software - I'm just looking for something simple to keep a beat going. Fancier beats would be an added bonus.

There's a metronome on my Korg effects box but it's not very audible above the guitar (and it's nowhere near fast enough, only 180bpm max!)

I used to use ScreamTracker (DOS) back in the day, but have never found a good alternative for Windows. :D

Does anyone know of any free "drum machine" software - I'm just looking for something simple to keep a beat going. Fancier beats would be an added bonus.

There's a metronome on my Korg effects box but it's not very audible above the guitar (and it's nowhere near fast enough, only 180bpm max!)

I used to use ScreamTracker (DOS) back in the day, but have never found a good alternative for Windows. :D

There's plenty out there...I found a flash-based metronome that I use a lot. Just do a search.

What I'm looking for right now is a program that will let me build my own multi-track drum loops. I'm using leafdrums right now, but I'd like something even more intuitive --I'd like to be able to drop the wavs directly into the grid, like normal multi-track software.

I tried using Cubase SX, but it's way too complicated...don't feel like figuring it all out yet. Usually I work with Cool Edit Pro, but for some reason they don't give a grid for the multi-track screen? Maybe Audition does?

I came across leafdrums --it's actually pretty close to what I'm looking for. You can plot out your loops, then write them --and there's an option for writing each drum sound's pattern separately. Then it's easy enough to take those and paste them into a multitracker, each one to its own track. Works pretty well too, lets you use any samples you want (not just drums either).

It has a couple other write options, I'm not so sure what they're useful for yet.

Programming wise, it has some useful features, such as it makes it really simple to duplicate a pattern (in order to make variations). Still ends up sounding more like a drum machine than live drums (even though I'm using some decent quality acoustic drum samples)

Anyway, after fooling around trying to program beats for a couple hours today, I really came to value the worth of a real drummer...would have taken 30 seconds to explain what I was trying to achieve.

Just have to find one who's into the music I want to make....in the meantime, I can make do with this app.

Oh yeah, it's shareware, but it's unrestricted ---there are nag screens to ask you pay. We'll see.

Thanks guys - I tried a few and LeafDrums seems pretty good. At least compound time signatures are possible if a little fiddly to program. 12/8 and 9/8 time signatures can be done using 3/4 or 4/4 time, using triplets & modifying the tempo. 7/8 has to be done with 7 individual 1-beat bars and double-time but at least it's possible. A lot of packages don't provide those options...if it didn't crash as often I'd probably buy it :D