My First Project (in Progress)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is polyurathane glue a good alternative for this? As that's what I'm planning on using for my neckthrough.

From what I hear, poly is great for gluing disimilar objects together (wood ~> metal, metal ~> plastic). Just stick with the wood glues for the wood projects.

Poly is the only glue Ill use for oily woods like cocobolo and bloodwood. I learned my lesson trying to use titebond with the bloodwood. The wood just turned the glue red and it wouldnt set up. The cocobolo prob would have been alright wiped down with some acetone but I didnt want to risk it. Ive since used poly on alot of different stuff including tops and body joints. It works good just makes a hell of a mess, but a strong joint no doubt water proof too.

That's exactly why you wipe down the gluing surfaces with acetone on the oily woods. :D

I have never had a problem gluing Cocobolo or Bloodwood.

Well like I said I wiped down the surfaces with acetone and it didnt do the trick. Maybe I had a bloodwood fingerboard that was more oily than average I dunno, But what I do know is it isn't fun removing a half glued fingerboard with 3 hours worth of fiber optic work in it because the glue failed. So it won't ever happen again. In my shop oily wood gets poly plain and simple. It holds up well, I havent had a problem with a joint yet. Being into my 10th from scratch bass/guitar project, Ive learned to stick with what works for me. Ill leave all the taking chances to you experts! :D

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Hey i wanted to wait until i had done more shaping around the edge of the body and on the bottom horn to update but progress has been slow and i thought that an update was in order. I will hopefully do some more work on it tomorrow but for now enjoy =)

bassshappingww4.jpg

:D

You are realy patient travis! At this step, i can't wait to play it :D Simple thing alway's look good. Show us more soon!

Philippe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long time with no updates but the english weather hasnt been allowing me to work on the bass. :D

But hopefully il fix the garage soon. :D

But the weather was quite good today so i shapped the headstock.

headstockshapeduz7.jpg

Enjoy =)

P.S i am going to veneer abit of zebrano onto the headstock

Edited by travismoore

thanks =)

I had a look at it this morning and it looks like its gluing alright but i wont be able to tell untill i take the clamps and stuff off at 7ish tonight.

Even pressure is pretty important when you glue a fretboard. I know most guys don't use these methods,but in a pinch they will work well.1- pin or clip the FB in place, and use a bunch of rubber bands wrapped tightly around(a more common method on acoustics due to odd shape of the heal). 2- lock in as in #1, then wind string around the fretboard. After the string is in place take some wood wedges and tap them under the string. You would be amazed at how much even pressure can be generated using either of these methods :D .

Peace,Rich