Inlay Saw Blades

I would like to buy some inlay blades for my jewelers saw frame. This will be my first time with inlay. There are a whole mess of them on ebay. Would someone like to comment on what sizes I should get and if you think the ebay ones are worth the money, or are they cheap quality.?

Thanks

Spike

I remain and maintain - buy decent quality from a reputable supplier as even the finest quality will only cost around 2.50/dozen of anyone's currency and they'll cut cleaner, last longer and snap less - Cliff's suggestion of Riogrande sounds a good place to start if your stateside, just look at his work if you want confirmation from a pro. Cheap one's tend to be poorly toothed and tempered and will snag and snap and can put you right off inlay from the start.

Jem :D

I remain and maintain - buy decent quality from a reputable supplier as even the finest quality will only cost around 2.50/dozen of anyone's currency and they'll cut cleaner, last longer and snap less - Cliff's suggestion of Riogrande sounds a good place to start if your stateside, just look at his work if you want confirmation from a pro. Cheap one's tend to be poorly toothed and tempered and will snag and snap and can put you right off inlay from the start.

Yes, I have to agree. In fact, I use the Gold series from Rio Grande which is their best blades. The O2 size are quite thin and can brake pretty easy, but that size allows you to turn easier and get the fine detail without breaking the material. A good piece of pearl is about $8, if you wreck that because you didn't have a good saw blade, all the cheap saw blades in the world aren't worth it. $8 is like 3 dozen blades. When you're working on a piece like that one below with no etching (I don't etch or paint fretboards), you'll be glad you have the nicer blades. Just my 2 cent, for whatever that's worth, which probably isn't a lot.

vineofdeath.jpg

Quick one that's been bugging me: what's the deal with the saw fine-ness grading? Anyone care to explain it (ie, 2/0 vs 3/0 vs 2 vs 3...). I use Erbele blades, german made, I can get them locally, and they're pretty nice, but I sort of just peer at the blades and get the ones that look fine enough...

Quick one that's been bugging me: what's the deal with the saw fine-ness grading? Anyone care to explain it (ie, 2/0 vs 3/0 vs 2 vs 3...). I use Erbele blades, german made, I can get them locally, and they're pretty nice, but I sort of just peer at the blades and get the ones that look fine enough...

3 is thicker than 2 which is thicker than 1, etc.

1/0 is thinner than any of the ones above, 2/0 is thinner yet, etc.

The one's I was recommending is 2/0.

Mattia,

Here's a listing of dimensions - they may not be exactly the same for every supplier (these are German made - the brand name elludes me at the moment) but it'll give you an idea.....i use 2/0 or occasionally 3/0 but i must try some of those 8/0's some day :D

Blade Dimensions

8/0

0.16 x 0.32mm

35 tpi

7/0

0.17 x 0.34mm

34 tpi

6/0

0.18 x 0.36mm

32 tpi

5/0

0.20 x 0.40mm

30 tpi

4/0

0.22 x 0.44mm

28 tpi

3/0

0.24 x 0.48mm

26 tpi

2/0

0.26 x 0.52mm

24 tpi

0.28 x 0.56mm

22 tpi

0.30 x 0.62mm

20 tpi

0.34 x 0.70mm

18 tpi

0.36 x 0.75mm

16 tpi

OK, to prove to you that the widget supply blades are perfectly fine. I but ALL my inlay with them, INCLUDING the ones in the following picture. I show you this picture mainly for the dragon (you can ignore the planets and the flying serpent). Take a look at the dragon's arm, and the disconnected tail section (that's where a cut will be made, so when done it won't look disconnected, it'll be up against the nut) those are THING tiny pieces! That was cut with a www.widgetsupply.com 2/0 blade. They're all saying poor quality blades snag and break themselves and shell, and don't cut well, etc. However, I managed to cut these tiny pieces first try with no breaking, etc.

Covers.jpg

To give you an idea to the size of these things... they will be fitting on PRS truss rod covers.

Chris

That's what I'm looking for, Thanks!!

spike

Yeah spike, thats why i downloaded it - i was well confused when i started out !

Jem

Please try not to quote large pages of text when it isn't necessary - it saves scrolling down to read the one line of new content which has been added. Jem's info is very useful, and much appreciated, but we only need to see it once!

Sorry, my dsl's so bloody slow tonight i was being a lazy arse !