Huge Ballooning In Finish

Well i was out on my driveway applying my first coat of clear. Everything went great a few pin holes but nothing to bad.

Because everything went great I left it out side to dry for 3 or so hours. When I came back I had about ten 5mm to 2 inch balloons of paint coming off in random areas! My first reaction was *** did i do wrong, But on closer inspection the areas on which they were actually attached were no bigger then half a cm. I have No idea if this has happened to anyone else but it was actually very amusing. The paint and clear is compatable and the finish is not lifting at all around the base of the bubble after i knocked them down. Im guessing I may have not removed all the soap from level sanding the black. a very very small amount of soap residue could be the only thing i can think of because i went over with a tack cloth to make sure all the dust was removed. I think the heat out side my have caused a problem I had to spray around 6-8 inches from the surface instead of around 10-12 as usual because I could see the paint was drying before it hit the guitar (grey hazy rough finish was being formed).

I was Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before and if they know what could have caused it. It really isn't a big problem but it would be great to avoid it in the future. I would rather have this then some pesky blushing or pin holes.

- Jeff

Edited by guitarchump

I think the heat out side my have caused a problem

Yup, and you were spraying lacquer, right? :D It happened to me as well, black guitar and too much heat. The surface of the finish dries too quickly which does not allow the solvents in the finish to "gas off". They become trapped under that thin membrane making bubbles. Shoot your guitar in the shade or during evening hours. And NEVER leave it out in the sun before shooting, even if you plan to bring it into a cooler area right away. The guitar (especially black guitars) will absorb heat. All that stored heat will cause the same result.

I was shooting the finish in my garage with the doors open but i didn't have enough light. So i hung the guitar from my basketball net and sprayed out side. A really bad decision on my part. Funny thing was the finish is poly. Should poly even gas out like that? Anyways I think ill just be wet sanding a fare bit and hopefully have this finnished by friday. Thank god for poly drying to full hardness in 24 hours.

It's not like I havent finnished a guitar before, its just that nothing like this has happened to me. I think the heat of summer creates way more problems then humidity over here. Its anouying when your in the shade and the paint drys before it even hits the guitar. I was thinking If people use heat lamps on guitars then why not the sun... bad idea.

- Jeff

Heat lamps are applying direct heat using a controlled spectrum of light, whereas sunlight is broad spectrum and contains wayloads more energy which a black guitar will absorb readily. It may also have something to do with the distance you sprayed from as you were obviously not wanting the poly to dust coat the instrument. If you spray too close/too heavily, much more solvent gets trapped in the paint and gases out for longer.

Sounds like solvent pop to me too.

Especially the "pin holes".

A couple more things that may contribute ...

* low temp activator on a summer day

* water in your air line.

Use the right temperature activator.

Drain your compressor tank and run an oil/water filter at your gun.

Of course, good body prep and thin coats always helps. :D

Edited by Dino