Finish Gone Wrong, Need Help!

Deano

Hello, :D

This is my first guitar project it is a RBX-170 Yamaha. Although the bass cost me £25, I did not like the finish, it had no character. It took several pieces of sandpaper (appox 25!!) to get rid the original finish. I had planned if this goes well to purchase some better hardware, but I'm not 100% about the finish! :D

This was the guitar before I did any work.

Camera_12082006048.jpg

This is it after the stain.

DSC015132.jpg

I wanted a matt finish like my Ibanez SZ1220 pictured below. Once I applied the lacquer and wax I got a shine and which brighten the brown and this isn't what I wanted.

Camera_12082006050.jpg

Would it be best if sanded it down to the bare wood again and start from scratch or is there a way to get rid of the shine? If I have to sand down again, what steps should I take to ensure a matt finish?

I believe the wood is Agathis.

Even though I paid £25 for this bass, if I know how to solve these problems now, on my next guitar (hopefully telecaster) I hopefully I can avoid these problems!

Thanks

Dean

Before you do so...what did you mean by lacquer exactly? Wax and oil, steel wood is happy with. If it's a lacquer then I'd hold fire on that one till somebody a lot more experienced than I contributes to this thread!

I were told in a shop that this stuff were lacquer, its called 'Clear Sealer', I then used turtle wax. The finish I got with them two felt really nice but it doesn't suit the stain, if you get what I mean... My first intentions were to have a flat finish, this isn't flat! But I don't mind a bit of shine :D

That bass looks infinitely better than it did with that blue lacquer on.

That paint was hiding some nice wood

have you tried one the many clear 'matt' finished you can buy?

i dunno how it would work out on a stain but ive painted a few things (not guitars) then finished with a mat coating that i bought from hobby shop and its turned our great

:D

No I haven't tried, but I think I will start again with a different colour, ill give that clear matt finish a shot!

Thanks

Dean