Simple dot inlay replacement

I read the tutorial section on inlays, but I'm still a little squeemish and ignorant about taking drill bits to my guitar necks--they just looks so peaceful in their unaltered state. Anyway I have two maple necks (p-bass and a birdseye Tele) made by Mighty Mite but they have those lame black dot inlays and I want them to have abalone dots. Sounds like a simple exchange of plastic and shell, but there's a tickling in my brain that says "James you are gonna f--- this nice neck up"!

Can one of you more talented inlayers post a thread on how to do it with a limited budget and with only a dremmel tool (can it be done?)? Keep in mind I only have basic tools--no fret pullers here, only wire cutters and wrenches. Can I get around doing a dot inlay without removing frets? Maybe a list of "necessary tools" to perform the task (see also budget). Any precaution in working with abalone (ie. easy to crack,etc.)? Also I would be buying premade dots from either Stew Mac or on Ebay and I'd probably only do the face dots but I'd like to know how to do the sides as well. Thanks in advance!

Here's a good site with lots of pics,

http://members.tripod.com/~banjoist/dot1.htm

It shows how to install on a new neck where sanding is required. Since you are replacing dots, you'll have to carefully drill the exact depth of the new dot so it will sit flush without sanding. I've used brad-point bits before and they center exactly and cut a flush bottom.

I saw an inlay 'sticker' where you could do fancy 'faux' inlay. They even sold dots...BUT, it was a sticker and strings could get caught if you do a lot of bending...not good.

Hey that site was pretty helpful. Thanks! I figured it was that simple, but I was too chicken to dive in without properly knowing. Now I just need to find a proper sized brad point bit.

Hmm...stick ons...yeah I tried that once a long time ago with glow in the dark pieces on the side dots, and it just got that glue-funk all over the place. Plus I'm in sunny San Diego, and I could just see that adhesive heating up and sliding all over the place and making a snailtrail across my fingerboard.

Thanks guys...you rock. :D