How Many Passes Do You Like To Make When Routing Neck Pockets?

fyb

Say you need to route a 5/8" neck pocket, what to you think is a good number of passes/depth of cut to do? I know you can easily get a bit that will have a 5/8" cutting length, but I don't think trying to do it in one pas would be a good idea at all :D I'd be too worried about screwing something up or having the bit jump or something.

What do you think?

Say you need to route a 5/8" neck pocket, what to you think is a good number of passes/depth of cut to do? I know you can easily get a bit that will have a 5/8" cutting length, but I don't think trying to do it in one pas would be a good idea at all :D I'd be too worried about screwing something up or having the bit jump or something.

What do you think?

1/4" at a time should be good, or 2x 1/4" and 1x 1/8" passes if we're being precise :D

Forstner bit out the first half inch or so, and take 1/4" cuts for those two. Then just bump to full depth and take the remaining 1/8".

In general, a good method to prolong bit life is to take out as much as possible (leaving a good 1/8" to 1/4") with the forstner bit, route that at 1/4" cuts, and take off the very bottom bit in 1/8" cuts. This way you're cutting at the maximum cutting depth you can, and due to the "pre-drilling" you end up cutting a lot less, prolonging tool life.