Stuck Once More

loach

Hello.

Since ive changed my design to a bolt-on (i've recently glued the body blanks together) i thought i may need to change the design around the neck pocket for extra strength (ive extended it but its still cut away on the sides). The reason i thought this, was that on most bolt-on's i see, the bottom (or right) of the neck pocket is cut away (on my squire it ends at the 20th fret), but on the top side it extends down to 17th.

How neccessary is it to have one side with alot more wood? I am having trouble redesigning my project to look good and have more wood on one side of the neck pocket (as a set neck the neck pocket stopped quite short).

Hopefully this makes sense to you all ;P (i tried searching, but i couldnt find much... most likely my keywords were terrible)

Hello.

Since ive changed my design to a bolt-on (i've recently glued the body blanks together) i thought i may need to change the design around the neck pocket for extra strength (ive extended it but its still cut away on the sides). The reason i thought this, was that on most bolt-on's i see, the bottom (or right) of the neck pocket is cut away (on my squire it ends at the 20th fret), but on the top side it extends down to 17th.

How neccessary is it to have one side with alot more wood? I am having trouble redesigning my project to look good and have more wood on one side of the neck pocket (as a set neck the neck pocket stopped quite short).

Hopefully this makes sense to you all ;P (i tried searching, but i couldnt find much... most likely my keywords were terrible)

What shape are you building? And how do you mean more wood on one side? :D

I now know what you mean, thanks for the better explanation :D

Ok, here is my understanding:

Your set neck pocket is short right? How short? For example, the RG's i have have a 70m pocket at the bass side and i bit over 30mm (i think) on the treble.

Seeing as its a warrior style guitar (and it is my understanding you have routed the pocket) you could route the pocket so it is longer if the neck allows this.

Do you have dimensions of your current pocket and maybe some pictures?

No no, the beautiful thing is i havent began routing yet, i just wanted to know the necessity of the longer pocket on the bass side... but in the time since i posted this ive done a redesign i still quite like with more support :D Thanks anyway though. (I should be bandsawing it out tomorrow)

As far as I am aware the surface area between the bottom of the neck and the neck pocket is the most important factor here.

I.E Strats have about 75mm of body on the bass string side and about 20mm of body on the high E string side, so like I said that contact area between the neck and neck pocket is the crucial part. Take a neck plate is at least 60mm x 50mm your pocket is going to be about 70mm x 55mm

Have a look a few strat pics for examples

when building my neck pocket for my tele I noticed it was the heel underneith that added the most strength and stability, now the sides add for angle support.

but if you routed the neck pocket correctly, it should fit snug between them, then esentially all the edges are doing is resupporting the 4 screws from the neck going askew.