My First Acousitc

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds decent. The bass is a little loose/flabby and the highs get a little lost, but it still sounds pretty good. I hit the general tone I was aiming for. Even though it's heavy on the bass individual notes stand out fine and finger picking sounds amazing. So I'm pretty happy with the sound considering it's my first acoustic. A fishman pickup is on the way, so I'll be able to hear it over a pa.

It sounds decent. The bass is a little loose/flabby and the highs get a little lost, but it still sounds pretty good. I hit the general tone I was aiming for. Even though it's heavy on the bass individual notes stand out fine and finger picking sounds amazing. So I'm pretty happy with the sound considering it's my first acoustic. A fishman pickup is on the way, so I'll be able to hear it over a pa.

Cool, do you have a soundcard and a mic? Can you run down some chords to hear it??

Cool, do you have a soundcard and a mic? Can you run down some chords to hear it??

On monday I'll get the guy that did the GOTM guitar to do a quick recording of it. The stuff I make with my soundcard sounds horriable.

On monday I'll get the guy that did the GOTM guitar to do a quick recording of it. The stuff I make with my soundcard sounds horriable.

Bummer, I have a 6 year old soundblaster card, works awsome, just cant add eco effects to the MP3s.

It would be interesting to see some of your specs. How thick were the X braces, Top, Back, Sides, weight of bridge etc...

GW-

The top ended up being .100, the back .095, and the sides .074. with the plates that thin do you think it's safe to make the GS? Or should I go with a smaller body?
, and he had several pics of his bracing on post #58 of this thread.

Godin- Sounds like your guitar turned out good. From your description of the overall sound. I think you are getting a little less punch(or tightness) to the bass. That is kinda the same thing I generally feel like mine lack. I think some of it is that we are more used to hearing acoustics that are too tight. I am looking to use lighter bridges than I have been using to get more speedy reaction(just my theory on where to go next). You say it sounds awsome when finger picked. Do you think you are overdriving the top when it is strummed?(kinda trying to get a better sense of what your hearing). I must say it is refreshing to hear something a little more accurate than it plays and sounds killer.

Two BIG thumbs up, and a HUGE CHEERS to you for making your first acoustic(and a beauty at that)! B):D:D

:D

Rich

Good going!

Also, as for the sound; it'll take a while to settle in. My first is/was slightly overbuilt, so it takes a while to wake up and kick the bass into gear. Top end sparkles a plenty, but the bass isn't quite as full as I would've liked, which I attribute to a little too much crosswise stiffness (I also have a very wide, if thin bridge, which adds more oomph, and probably a bit too much bracing). Sounds good (bit intimate) when fingerpicked, but it's a 16" lower bout guitar, so, y'know, not a fingerpicker par excellence. It does sound quite tight, but it's grown into a 'nice' kind of tight (if that makes any sense). My top's quite a bit thicker, starting at 3mm in the center, feathered out to the edges. Sounds great with the top being pushed to all hell with a flatpick, particularly capo'd at second or so.

I finally got done with the setup and put some elixers on and after sitting for a day or so it's really sounding better. The bass has tightened up considerably to "oh my gosh thats amazing bass" levels. When I hit that low E I can feel the rosewood vibrating against my stomach and it's so cool. The high end has started to come out more and it sounds very balanced now when strummed, where as before it sounded flabby and dark when strummed. I think the area of this guitar that sounds the best is the midrange. The D and G strings sound better than on any acoustic I've ever played. They are nice and sweet when picked, yet stay defined in chords and are perfectly balanced in volume (I've had guitars where the G string was too quiet).

I didn't know the sound changed so dramatically in the first few days of it's life. I'm definitely happy it did.

I still don't have any pictures of it done, the wood really looks amazing. I'm glad I used decent wood even though it's my first. It turned out well. I'll try to get a recording (or maybe a video :D ) on monday.

But here are a few pictures of it almost done.

Here you can see the caul I made so I only had to use one clamp for the bridge. works like a charm.

pic1

Here are some shots in the booth.

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

EDIT: Awesome, as I was writing this the ups guy delivered the pickup. So I'm going to go put it in. I got a fishman matrix natural II.

EDIT: Man it sounds good plugged in!! It sounds better than my brothers $1000 takamine, so I guess it's a pretty good first try :D

Looks and sounds fantastic to me.

Looks and sounds fantastic to me.

Hmmm, it wont allow me to Download. Can you just send a couple to me? Thanks

All I get are little square X;s, no round tabs, no DL links, cant save target, nuthin.

If you shoot me your email in a pm I'd be happy to send you the clips in an email.