Can You Use 2 Similar Types Of Finish From Different Manufacturers?

fyb

I've been searching around some, and I can't seem to find an answer for this.

Say your color coat is an acrylic lacquer from brand X, can you usually use an acrylic lacquer clear coat from brand Y? I'm curious if you can generally follow a rule like this.

I'm a noob to finishing (if you couldn't tell :D) and I was thinking of using some Duplicolor for the color coat, but I've heard bad things about their clear coats around here (like taking forever to cure and what not). I'm thinking about using their metal specks paint on one guitar, and a red that matches the factory color of my car on another. Can I use something like Deft lacquer (which I've heard some good things about around here) or some other brand for a good clear coat??

Thanks for the help!

:D

While it is not usually recomended to mix brands, let alone types of laquer (acrylic and nitro), I would just say to try it on a test piece. I used Plastikote auto paint for my color layer which is an acrylic and have had no problem shooting DEFT over it. But that doesn't mean it will always work. If you are unsure, always test on scrap first.

While it is not usually recomended to mix brands, let alone types of laquer (acrylic and nitro), I would just say to try it on a test piece. I used Plastikote auto paint for my color layer which is an acrylic and have had no problem shooting DEFT over it. But that doesn't mean it will always work. If you are unsure, always test on scrap first.

I was wondering if the Deft is nitro or acrylic?

Thanks!

I have a few similar questions: Would an oil based grain filler react adversely to any type(s) of primer? Also, I can't seem to find what the makeup of the rattlecan primers are. I want to use poly colors and a poly clear, but I can't tell if the primers are the automotive shops/Home Depot or whatever are poly, nitro, acrylic, or whatnot. How would I go about finding this out, or does it not matter what type the primer is?

I can't speak to all of them, but Krylon, Plastikote, Duplicolor are all acrylic lacquers. I don't know if anyone makes poly primers or not. As for the grain filler, you can put anything over it, but make sure you give it plenty of time to dry. Water based dries a lot faster so unless you are using a transparent color to see the wood grain (which I am guessing not since you are using primer) I would go with water based. Plus it's a lot less toxic as far as fumes are concerned. Also if you are staining wood, remember to stain before using oil based grainfiller since it does not accept stain very well. Water based will, but depending on how heavy it is in the pores, it may not look very good.

I can't speak to all of them, but Krylon, Plastikote, Duplicolor are all acrylic lacquers. I don't know if anyone makes poly primers or not.

Aaaah, excellent. Thanks a bunch, ihocky! Knowing me, they probably don't make poly primers, at least not readily available. The train of thought I was riding said that if you're supposed to stick with one type all the way, the primer should be included.

So I take it that Krylon and Duplicolor plain white primer is acceptable to use as a base for color and clear? It'd save me a decent amount of money as opposed to buying primer for the spray gun. I'd really want to go with HoK all the way, but they're all, "Only use our stuff!" and their stuff is supremely expensive. All I'm planning on getting from them is a bottle or two of candy apple red to do the accents with. Plain black and clear are cheap enough to get anywhere.

I can't speak to all of them, but Krylon, Plastikote, Duplicolor are all acrylic lacquers. I don't know if anyone makes poly primers or not.

Aaaah, excellent. Thanks a bunch, ihocky! Knowing me, they probably don't make poly primers, at least not readily available. The train of thought I was riding said that if you're supposed to stick with one type all the way, the primer should be included.

So I take it that Krylon and Duplicolor plain white primer is acceptable to use as a base for color and clear? It'd save me a decent amount of money as opposed to buying primer for the spray gun. I'd really want to go with HoK all the way, but they're all, "Only use our stuff!" and their stuff is supremely expensive. All I'm planning on getting from them is a bottle or two of candy apple red to do the accents with. Plain black and clear are cheap enough to get anywhere.

Watch you paint types.. Uros and acrylic do not play nice. You can generally put uro over acrylic but not acrylic over urothane. It can wrinkle the underlying paint due to the solvents. Sticking with one type of paint is the safest way to do this. I use HOK, PPG, DUPONT, SEM, DIAMONT, ALSA and others with each other but they are all uros. Ask the MFG and they will say to use only their products together but most play nice. One note is that HOK clear can have issues with delaminating over other brand paints. I Prefer dupont 7900s uro high build clear over all my work.

HOK is a Acrylic Urethane and is listed by HOK to be compatible with acrylic lacquer or urethane enamel top coats. Hok is actually a modified acrylic so this make sense.

Edited by PaintIt