Ibanez Refinish And Other Projects

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress is pretty minimal.

Reason for this is that my teacher assigned me and a few others as a team make about 60 chairs. :D

So no time for my little experiments untill next year.

I've been inlaying the FB though.

Bought these:

picture2356xw0.jpg

Here they are being glued to the board: -Click-

The board is still too thick, so the inlays are below the surface.

Also, I wasn't too happy about the little-to-no-figure on the birch top so I went ahead and bought this: -Click-

Nice figure! I'll be using the birch top to practice carving and plane it off when the time comes.

Gives me another chance to route those wiring channels too.

This is the flamed limba neck blank from Soundat11: -Click-

Desopolis is willing to sell me some wenge for neck laminates and ebony for headstock.

The Ibanez is also on hold because of the chair project.

The inlays are bought from DePaule. Didn't cost too much either.

I was really thrilled about the 'nicety' of the inlays untill someone noted that they look like... well... weed.

Didn't even cross my mind untill that. They're supposed to be japanese maple leafs.

Oh well, they should look nice when finished. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that the Limba made it all the way over to Finland safely:-)

That is extremely beautiful mahogany, it looks like some of the best Mahogany I've seen.

Sapele is generally prettier than Khaya. Khaya has the same grain structure as Honduran Mahogany, it's just varies in color more, almost always lighter than the South American Mahogany. It can be yellow, pink, or light orange. I've used the both African and South American for my guitars, I prefer the color of the South American, but it's so hard to locate in wide pieces, so the African is an easy to find substitute that costs less.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress.

Here is the guitar as it is:

kuva017ni0.jpg

Got the maple top glued on and routed flush. -Click-

The headstock is almost done. All that is left is the binding which will be the same as on the FB. -Click-

Check out my mitres! -Click- I'm quite satisfied, to be honest. Some of you might remember my last try... Not quite as right. :D

I also got the headstock backstrapped. -Click- Not in the traditional sense, but I quite like the way it turned out.

As I go, I'm also learning to use more and more hand tools. I practice on the 'not-so-critical' aspects of the build such as planing the headstock and the ears. I'm still not comfortable with using hand planes and such, but I'm getting there.

Some of you might have noticed that I ditched the japanese maple leaf board. Everytime I looked at it it said "WEED!!".

So I ordered another board from stewmac.

Next up is drilling the side dots and glueing the board down (something I would have done today, but I forgot the side dot material home).

Then I can start shaping the neck. I'll get back to work on monday.

Here are a few more pics: Full shot Back Full shot

Not a problem man.

I am surprised how much wood you're losing from that tenon though - more is always better than less, but that almost two necks worth!

How cold is it in Järvenpää? It's only -3° here and still too cold to work in the workshop....you're probably around -30° to 35° yeah?

Not a problem man.

I am surprised how much wood you're losing from that tenon though - more is always better than less, but that almost two necks worth!

How cold is it in Järvenpää? It's only -3° here and still too cold to work in the workshop....you're probably around -30° to 35° yeah?

It's about -25° in here. I'm really feeling it!

About the wood.

The limba was originally a good size for a neck blank, but when you add the wenge and start glueing stuff up it gets pretty big.

I could have gotten two necks out of it, but it would have been so close that I decided not to risk it since I really can't afford to buy more wood at the moment.

The scrap can be used for little parts such as truss rod covers. :D

I hear you on that one Jester, man! The neck tenon for the Thunderbird i'm planning is going to have a tapered central laminate which means to properly scarf the headstock without resorting to ears, will leave me with a 135mm wide tenon, tapering to 120mm at the top end....

I might still consider ears, but I like to err on the side of caution like yourself. Despite neither of us being given the choice I guess!

It may a little early but just an idea:

guitarpaintks2.th.jpg

Really nice color, but not really what I'm after with this one. I was thinking a really dark, vivid and lush, almost foresty green.

And I think I'm not up to par with my spraying skills to attemp a burst.

@Prostheta, I think you should really consider doing ears, if not, make it really big and get two necks. :D Despite the width of my neck blank I still had to glue a small ear to the upper side. Now that I think of it, I should have tryed to cut two necks from it. Would have saved me some euros...

I don't know what's with the scandinavian guys, but seems like there's something in teh water that makes them build AWESOME guitars , the swedish guys here build gorgeous guitars, yesterday i was checking the work of a finnish guy named Timo Ojala, whose first guitar was more than impressive and his second was nothing short of amazing, and now you Jester?? Damn, that guitar is coming along great!! I knew i should drank more water when i was in Gothenburg, i'm sure there's somthing in the water!! :D keep up the good work! I'm building something similar to yours too, using venezuelan woods too :D

I don't know what's with the scandinavian guys, but seems like there's something in teh water that makes them build AWESOME guitars , the swedish guys here build gorgeous guitars, yesterday i was checking the work of a finnish guy named Timo Ojala, whose first guitar was more than impressive and his second was nothing short of amazing, and now you Jester?? Damn, that guitar is coming along great!! I knew i should drank more water when i was in Gothenburg, i'm sure there's somthing in the water!! :D keep up the good work! I'm building something similar to yours too, using venezuelan woods too B)

Thanks! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

@Slabbefusk, not quite what I was looking for, but thanks for the effort! I'm shooting for a LOT darker color and without the burst.