Multieffect Vs Single Stomp Box(s).

Desopolis

So my birthday is coming up, and my mother is going to be out of town on x-mas when I return to texas.(I currently live in Indianapolis). so she wanted to get me somthing nice.

she said a music store was going out of buisness or moving or whatever, but that location was closing. And she had figured I might want somthing.

Now shopping for a guitarist if your not a guitarist is like trying to buy a mechanic tools from wal-mart.

I have a amp, I have a hot-rodded strat, im making two more guitars. I have a accoustic, etc.

So I suggested maybe a effect pedal or strings.(I hate asking for anything even remotely expensive)

Now the last time I was at the music store I almost purchased a me-50

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=123

but after reading some reviews and talking to people I may not go that route.

I like it, and it sounds pretty close but I had(stolen a year ago) a regular os-2 and mt-2. but it sounds a bit off.

the Delay is pretty close to the DD-6 witch is about $100 less then this thing. and it has a ton of features..

but for the different banks, requires a seperate pedal.

AHHHHHHHHH SO CONFUSED!!!

Im curious to know what your guys opinions were in this...

BTW I just asked my mom for a RC-20xl

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=137

and a feel really guilty.. but whatever, she wouldnt let me say nothing...

I started with inividual pedals, moved onto multi-effects, then built up a load of rack gear & now back to stomp boxes....each has it's pro's & con's but individual pedals are the most versatile IMO.

I moved away from pedals & got rack equipment because I was gigging regularly & had it all configured so that my sound would be consistant night to night. The similarity to multi-effects is that one pedal can change the entire sound & an expression pedal could even morph between the two. For live work it's brilliant...no more tap dancing!

The down side is that when it came to writing new material I either kept the same sounds, worked on new ones at home or annoyed the hell out of the rest of the band whilst I searched menus & twisted knobs...sooo, I went back to pedals. It's so much easier to add some delay in the heat of the moment or to change from a distortion to a fuzz. It also means that I get more creative with what I've got because I can't change 10 effects at once anymore. They also make great presents because any pedal is an opportunity for a new sound.

With computers achieving such low latencies these days, I feel that the days of EITHER option are numbered. I use VST plug-ins and a barely-detectable amount of latency (4ms to be comfortable, though I can push it down further if needed). The hosted plug-in is easily a replacement for either traditional stompboxes OR multi-fx units.

The current downside is that it's not very giggable. When they come up with a rugged and portable computer with enough juice, that'll be the end of it for multi-fx units. Though, pedals will probably continue to be around for the foreseeable future. There's something cool about stomping on a nice rugged Boss pedal.

Greg