Sata Spray Guns

Hydrogeoman

To the owners of Sata guns out there (or other quality sprayers). I am thinking about upgrading from my cheapo Harbor Freight gravity feed guns (a mini with a .6 tip and the other with a 1.4 tip) to a quality gun. I am leaning toward picking up a SATA but I don't know if I should go with the RP (reduced pressure) or HVLP or which model for that matter.

I have heard negatives about going with the HVLP for guitar work. Also, I don't know if the SATA minijet 4 would suffice for all of my guitar finishing work or should I go with a bigger model?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D

Greg

I have a minijet 4 and that thing is amazing. I don't need anything bigger for guitar work, and it lays the coats on so nice and even, will little overspray, and a cheaper compressor, not to mention the thing is much quiter than a normal gun. I totally recomend it. The only downside is the price, which IMO is well worth it.

I have a minijet 4 and that thing is amazing. I don't need anything bigger for guitar work, and it lays the coats on so nice and even, will little overspray, and a cheaper compressor, not to mention the thing is much quiter than a normal gun. I totally recomend it. The only downside is the price, which IMO is well worth it.

Thanks for the input. Although the minijet is still expensive, it is easier on the wallet than the larger Sata guns.

I've got a MiniJet 3, HVLP, 1.0mm regular tip (not the SR), doesn't need huge amounts of air, and is the perfect size for guitar work, and controllable enough for bursts and the like. Heck, if you want to splash out you can get an airbrush kit to go with it.

I love mine, highly reccomended.

The HVLP you heard bad hings about might have been the turbine units. The compressor HVLP guns are great for this. For an alternative to the SATA, with similar performance You can look at the Astro Pnuematics or the CAT. I just bought a CAT and haven't used it yet so i can't vouch for performance yet, but they say it's very comparable for a similar unit. The build quality is excellent though.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astr...0-%20AP4020.htm

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/CAT/CATMiniJet.htm

I've got a MiniJet 3, HVLP, 1.0mm regular tip (not the SR), doesn't need huge amounts of air, and is the perfect size for guitar work, and controllable enough for bursts and the like. Heck, if you want to splash out you can get an airbrush kit to go with it.

I love mine, highly reccomended.

Thanks Mattia, after doing more research, I am definately sold on the Minijet size spayer for guitar work.

The HVLP you heard bad hings about might have been the turbine units. The compressor HVLP guns are great for this. For an alternative to the SATA, with similar performance You can look at the Astro Pnuematics or the CAT. I just bought a CAT and haven't used it yet so i can't vouch for performance yet, but they say it's very comparable for a similar unit. The build quality is excellent though.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astr...0-%20AP4020.htm

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/CAT/CATMiniJet.htm

Thanks Komodo, I found the site you gave the links to yesterday, and I am seriously considering going with one of these two sprayers (leaning towards the CAT for no other reason than it is made in :D ). I would like to hear what you think about the CAT when you get a chance to try it out.

I may go ahead and buy one of these sprayers and if it does not fit the bill, I can always save up and get the Sata down the road. You can NEVER have too many tools :D