Out Of Curiosity

Can you route Perspex or will it shatter, pinning you to the wall like a circus knife thrower?

(sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, it was a bit too random to put in one of the main forums)

:D

Is that some kind of clear acrylic plastic, like plexi? (Sorry, I'm Swedish, I don't know all the names and terms...) In that case I would say you can, I started making a pickguard from that material for my first build. I found some tortoise material and used that, otherwise I would have finished it. Anyway, I routed the outer shape of the pickguard, and it didn't shatter at all. The edges did get a little uneven (like really small waves along the edge) but so small that it would have been easy to sand it away in no time. I routed the edges at a 45 degree angle, I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Might have been my inexperience at handling a router...

• 2 weeks later...

The trick is to cut as close as feasibly possible and use the router only to get yourself up to the edge of a template. Maybe leave 1/16" to be routed off. This should yield better results. It's also worth mentioning tha tall clear plastics are not created equal. My plastic of choice is lexan, it is much more flexible and scratchproof than plexi.

peace,

russ