Putting Pickguards In Places They Don't Belong

Xanthus

Man, it's been a while since I came around this corner of the interweb... But on the plus side, the black was painted last night, and I'll throw up pictures on my Explorer thread (depending on whether or not any of them actually came out) when I can get them off the camera.

But onto the body of the post: Has anyone ever thought of putting a pickguard on the back of a guitar? Maybe you're a guy, like me, who likes to wear a belt, or even multiple belts, on stage. Moreover, I've seen quite a few questions regarding the best way to fill in belt scratches/gouges on a guitar. Now I'm not a vintage/relic guy, and I don't know if people like that LIKE belt marks on their guitar, but taking a clear piece of pickguard material, cutting it out, and screwing it to the back of a guitar, seems like a pretty nifty idea. Both of my electrics have their share of marks on the back.

I mean, unless you're that guy who doesn't play his guitar with a heavy metal spiked belt \m/ or the guy who's got that 1/2 inch thick finish.

Thought I'd throw it out there, in any case.

If the main reason is to protect the existing finish, I see more cons than pros to the idea. First, there are the screwholes made in mounting the plate and secondly, the color /tint that isn't covered will change over time where that which is covered will remain the same. Guitars are made to be played and, if you care, protected. ie. be aware of sharp metal objects like belt buckles, jacket zippers, nipple rings!? :D , or whatever you are wearing, before picking up the guitar.

I have a friend who owns a 84 LP cherry burst in near mint condition. It stays in the case. I don't think he would go for the idea of screwing a big plastic plate on the back to protect the finish. :D

Edited by Southpa

and secondly, the color /tint that isn't covered will change over time where that which is covered will remain the same.

Aaaah, you got me there, Southpa! I didn't exactly sit down and think it out to its fullest, haha, more of a passing idea that I threw up there.

Speaking of putting your precious investments in cases, I was just reminded today that I don't have a case to put my finished product in, hoping it's done by next Sunday. On top of that, there's nowhere to store it in the dorm.

What do you people do with all of your completed custom guitars? Do you buy a case for them all, or hang 'em on the wall, or something?

The "make your own case" tut is pretty enticing...

I found a nice fitting case for my SG build for $65 Cdn. But still have 2 guitars sitting out on stands and gathering dust. Then again, I play them quite a lot. :D I'm still looking for a case for my tele. I have one coffin for the strat but I have to pack towels in to keep it from moving. And my Hagstrom III is in a cardboard box case. :D

I like belt-buckle rash. Think it looks cool. I think brand-spanking shiny new-looking guitars are ugly and plastic-looking, and it's one of the big reasons I never buy new guitars off the shelf.

Nothing more beautiful than a well-used guitar. If only because no two can ever be the same. Problem with owning too many guitars is it takes a lot longer for a guitar to start looking used.

Besides, no matter what you put on the back of the guitar will develop its own scratches, discoloring, etc. So what are you going to do, replace that every time you play?

Why not get something like those disposable toilet-seat protectors? Bet that would look cool with your multiple-studded-belt look :D

I hope you're not serious, Russ :D That tut has your name written all over it. Literally.

Here's the link to it, in case anyone else is interested (in not having to use the search function).

"Why not get something like those disposable toilet-seat protectors? Bet that would look cool with your multiple-studded-belt look tongue.gif"

-Mickguard

That'd be pimpin'! I could cover the whole back of the guitar with double-sided tape and carry them in my guitar case! :D

I suppose it'd be fun to market the back-of-the-body-beltguard, make it come in all shapes and sizes, and construct a "How the hell have you been able to live without it?" marketing campaign....

Then I'd have more money for building guitars B)

"Why not get something like those disposable toilet-seat protectors? Bet that would look cool with your multiple-studded-belt look tongue.gif"

-Mickguard

Hmm...what about the window cling material that they make for siticking a picture to a window? A clear piece that doesn't mar or stick to the finish. Just clings to it. And will absorb belt bucke scratches.....interesting.

-Mickguard

Hmm...what about the window cling material that they make for siticking a picture to a window? A clear piece that doesn't mar or stick to the finish. Just clings to it. And will absorb belt bucke scratches.....interesting.

Ah man, I didn't mean to get you guys thinking :D ...but yeah, a clear plastic disk that holds through static electricity is really all you'll need. No screws, no glue, no tape, and easy to remove. Easy to market --hey, I want my percentage.

I'd be worried about the type of material and whether it'll cause a chemical reaction with the finish, so you ought to be certain about that part too.

But now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar to this...marksound?