Help Deciding What Guitar To Build?

First Build  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started printing off every page I could find that should help me build this so now I'm serious about it.

I want to do one of these three Body Designs....

A) Superstart platform DC127 (Carvin.com for pics)... I already have this guitar so I don't need to buy a template or make any design decsions. But once christmas rolls around this'll be my third super-strat if I build it

B. Randy Rhodes V... Has the look I really want, but wouldn't be very functional...(sitting down)

C) Explorer.... Very cool looking body and has the functionality that the V lacks.

BTW I will be making this from a Carvin Neckthrough 24 fret neck and an alder body.

It really is up to you.......make whatever you want to. But if you can't decide then here is my advice. Since you already have the Carvin guitar, you might not want an exact replica of it (unless you really like it). Instead you could make a shape you don't already have. I think the RRV is cool, but if you play sitting down most of the time then it wouldn't work so well, like you mentioned. And I LOVE explorers, they are comfy to play sitting down and they are one of the coolest designs IMO. There are pros and cons of each shape, so you have to decide. Hope that helps......even though all I did was basically repeat everything you said. :D

Thanks for the replies. I do really like the Carvin guitar, but I'm getting a second similar model from them (pre painted kit) as I said, soon.

What I've thought about doing is just using the distance/placement measurments (nut to pickups, nut to bridge) from the carvin for the Rhodes V, then with some spare wood building a bottom cutaway that I can clamp on to play when I'm sitting. :D

I like the Idea of the V more and more and the idea of the explorer less and less everytime I see pictures.

If I make the V and my little cutaway contraption....the only downside would be people being confused at shows if I only brought one guitar.

you can't play a satch style ballad on a V. :D

Sorry, I didn't mean anything derogatory in my last post. That sounds like a neat little contraption, and would solve the problem of sitting with the V. Cool. Sounds like you are ready to start building. :D

Sorry, I didn't mean anything derogatory in my last post. That sounds like a neat little contraption, and would solve the problem of sitting with the V. Cool. Sounds like you are ready to start building.

I didn't see anything deragatory. But yeah I'm pretty surprised that little attachment idea is not a common thing. *reaches for pencil and patent application* :D

It really is up to you.......make whatever you want to. But if you can't decide then here is my advice. Since you already have the Carvin guitar, you might not want an exact replica of it (unless you really like it). Instead you could make a shape you don't already have. I think the RRV is cool, but if you play sitting down most of the time then it wouldn't work so well, like you mentioned. And I LOVE explorers, they are comfy to play sitting down and they are one of the coolest designs IMO. There are pros and cons of each shape, so you have to decide. Hope that helps......even though all I did was basically repeat everything you said. :D

Rhoads V's are incredibly comfy to play sitting down, as they force you to play in the classical position.

Rhoads V's are incredibly comfy to play sitting down, as they force you to play in the classical position.

I never play in the "rock" position... classical keeps the guitar much more stable so when your doing things like string skipping it's much easier to be accurate... at least for me.

Rhoads v's to me are the ultimate in comfortable guitars, they balance incredibly well on a strap , they are great for sitting playing, and they just look badass. and hey, if Randy could play Goodbye to Romance with one, its plenty good enough for ballads lol

Edited by ElysianGuitars