Soloist Drop Top W/ Floyd Rose

also on the full shot do those pickup outlines look too close or is it just me?

well, they do look kind of close to me, i may have missed it , what scale are you going with?

Edit: found it. i dont know why they look so close together, its a long scale, and you should have room.

Edited by killemall8

Looks like you've got a 24 fret neck with almost a full fret position of "extra" board after it (the fretboard ends just about where you'd stick a 25th fret) - that's what pushes your pickups just a little close together, at least, that's the problem I had on my first build. It takes a suprisingly small amount of that to at least make your pickups visually appear cramped. As long as the gear you have fits, you're fine though, right?

Looks like you've got a 24 fret neck with almost a full fret position of "extra" board after it (the fretboard ends just about where you'd stick a 25th fret) - that's what pushes your pickups just a little close together, at least, that's the problem I had on my first build. It takes a suprisingly small amount of that to at least make your pickups visually appear cramped. As long as the gear you have fits, you're fine though, right?

hmm...good point i think i forgot to account for the binding when cutting the boad to final shape. i could probably just shave it down and glue a new peice on. i was thinkin maybe the shape of the routes too most single routs nowadays look symetrical (not bumped out in the fron), if you know what i mean.

well the reason i stray from the 5 way is i hate the way blade switches look. i prefer toggles... if they made a 4 position toggle id be in business..

I agree - they do look a little nasty, but hey - another one of Leo's lack of corners!

Why not turn the tone knob into a 5 way rotary switch a la prs, nobody ises tone anyways :D

never though of that, but, how do these work in a performance situation? it seems it would be hard to switch from neck to bridge pup in the middle of a solo/lick.

i may just abandon the middle pup as ive never used one. then i could use a toggle and it would solve my cramped pickup issue.

• 2 months later...
heres a pic of it with the wings attached and roughed.

soon i will carve the arm contour and then put on the 1/8" brazillian cherry top. after that i can then attach the bm flamemaple drop top.

Can you tell me exacly how you bent the top? You wrote that you used water and heat, how exaclty? How glued it on the body, did you use only clamps?

Thank you ;-)

P.S.: very nice work, I like it!

heres a pic of it with the wings attached and roughed.

soon i will carve the arm contour and then put on the 1/8" brazillian cherry top. after that i can then attach the bm flamemaple drop top.

Can you tell me exacly how you bent the top? You wrote that you used water and heat, how exaclty? How glued it on the body, did you use only clamps?

Thank you ;-)

P.S.: very nice work, I like it!

i used a spray bottle with distilled water and a cloths iron to heat it. while it was hot i bent it to shape (took about 1.5 hrs) and then i clamped it with NO glue. left it for a few days, unclamped, added glue and reclamped with a board on top to more evenly distribute the pressure. i used about 25 clamps, it was a pain and i probably wont try that again until i get a vacuum bag system.

BTW, i shortened the end of the fretboard and routed the pup cavities. i will probably fix the miss drilled tuning peg hole and rout the electronics cavity tomorrow. i also decided on just having a H-X-S pup config. then i'm on to fretting, final prep and paint!