Soloist Drop Top W/ Floyd Rose

finally i started build #2. i decided to challenge my self now that i know that i can make a guitar thats a player. on this one i did my first inlay and will try to bend a forearm contour. i wanted something less pointy and "metal" so i decided to just make a soloist. made some progress but i still cant decide what color its going to be. i was thinking either a desert burst or a yellow to green burst thing(like that green dimebag guitar that was on here), most likely with gold hardware.

SPECS

25 1/2" scale

24 frets

Floyd Rose

H-S-S pups, maybe a sustainiac sustainer

Neckthru w/ flame maple and rosewood laminates

Honduran mahogany body w/ 1/8" brazilian cherry laminate, 1/4" flame maple drop top and natural binding

matching flame maple headplate w/ natural binding, and

Ebony Fretboard w/ reverse head stock and reverse mop sharkfins

heres the pics:

neckandfretboard.jpg

Full neck shot

Neck shot, wet down

Fret Board

Mahogany body blank

Flame maple top

also there is a probelm i have run into, theres a knot/void in the head stock and i dont know how to fix it, Heres a close up pic

You'd be better off using some sort of colored epoxy to fill that and then use a headplate of whatever wood you chose. Wood filler is a big no-no, it dries and cracks and is actually pretty useless. I'm concerned that your headstock isn't long enough, especially if you want to use a typical soloist 6 inline headstock. Have you confirmed that it's the right length?

peace,

russ

I'm concerned that your headstock isn't long enough, especially if you want to use a typical soloist 6 inline headstock. Have you confirmed that it's the right length?

it looks short but most of the head stock its off the edge of the neck, as in i need to glue the sides on. i actually have about 1" extra tis long enough.

Edited by Rob G.

• 5 months later...
awsome work!

for making arm contours did you just sand and plane it down to that?

for the OFR did you use Stewmac routiing templates?

for the contours i bent the top over the contour and i made the template for the floydrose, you can get the drawings with all the mesurements at floydrose.com.

I don't know from drop-tops, so I'm not sure what the typical scenario is-- but did you need to "pre-bend" the top before gluing? Ie. bend it in place, then apply... ? water? steam? Something to do much of the work?

Or is it held in bent shape just by virtue of being a thin enough top coupled with a good glue job?

Greg

I don't know from drop-tops, so I'm not sure what the typical scenario is-- but did you need to "pre-bend" the top before gluing? Ie. bend it in place, then apply... ? water? steam? Something to do much of the work?

Or is it held in bent shape just by virtue of being a thin enough top coupled with a good glue job?

Greg

i was going to leave the to 1/4" but at the advice of some on these boards i didnt, i reduced it to 3/16" which made a huge differance as far as flexability is concerned.

heres the short version of how i did it:

1. lots of heat and a little water/steam (the first one i tried had too much water so it cracked).

2. clamped it to the top and slowly went around the contour with about 6 clamps.

3. waited a week clamped and untouched

4. unclamped and glued up immediately using a rediculous amount of clamps, 20

5. left for another week.

6. done

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

more progress...(pics later today) i shaped the neck and am getting ready for the cavitys. i also started making a matrhing truss trod cover out of flame maple, i was thinking of inlay something on it. but, im not sure if im ready to try to inlay maple.

hopefully saturday i will have my nitro, stain, and gold tuners. i got lemon yellow and green so im gonna give this thing a dime slime burst deal.

all i have left to buy is the electronics. im thinking on going with a seymour duncan JB and some singles that'll give me that yngwie neck lead tone. as for the electronics go i think im gonna try three individual switches for each pup and a simple vol. and tone. any suggestions for the two singles?

I've never liked 3/5-way switches personally but given good thought, a LOT of options are possible. Am I right in thinking there are some multi-leaf blade switches out there say, four pole instead of two? They would open up a LOT of options.

I love writing LOT in capitals if you haven't noticed. :D

4-pole 5-way switches are commonplace, and yeah-- the options are pretty staggering. I'm not ruling out mini-switches for specific purposes, but for most standard magnetic schemes, I can't think of much that I'd want to do that you can't do with a 4-pole 5-way switch.

Well, you only have five options to select so your options are surprisingly limited ;-D

Do you have a list of sounds you want to achieve, or are you wanting the guitar to have an available palette taking into account that many of the things offered by that palette may be redundant or just plain poo? IIRC, the Red Special has a lot of redundant sounds which Mr May probably has no use for, but the flipside is that most things can be done to all three pickups....

To answer your question in Post #18

"yes."

I think we agree. :D The options are actually staggering with a 4-pole switch. It's just that you eventually narrow them down to the 5 you would actually use. :D

well the reason i stray from the 5 way is i hate the way blade switches look. i prefer toggles... if they made a 4 position toggle id be in business..

I agree - they do look a little nasty, but hey - another one of Leo's lack of corners!

• 2 months later...

ok made some progress hit one speed bump. shaped the neck, volute, transition from neck to body, and belly cut. drilled the "b" string tuning peg 3/32" off the mark, its close enough to be covered with the washer so ill plug it and re-drill. also on the full shot do those pickup outlines look too close or is it just me?

SideShotN.jpg

Full

Neck Transition

Belly Cut