Appreciating Brazilian Rosewood

I've got a good long-time friend who's in a perfect position to set me up with Brazilian Rosewood, for how long who knows. I've only recently felt like I've gained enough resaw skills to deal with it, and side bending acumen to make good use of it, so this is my initial experience.

This baby is a good 4' long and 9" wide, just under 4/4 after surfacing. :D

Braz1.jpg

Some impressions:

The appearance really does distinguish itself from east indian, chechen, honduran and cocobolo (the other RWs I've worked with). The variety of colors (from purple to tan) is pretty cool, like east indian but a more brownish color palette compared to EI (which is more toward grey-ish IMO). Chechen is closest in color, honduran is more tan and coco is more reddish I'd say.

It is hard, not as hard as coco maybe, but it works wonderfully. Doesn't gum up the equipment like coco does. The smell is fruity, and distinguished from the other RWs, but not exactly knock-your-socks-off rosey as is often claimed (and I have real roses to compare to :D ). I had to literally put my nose right up against the finished surface to get that smell.

This piece rings like a bell, but not more so than good examples of other RWs. So if this is a good piece (as it appears to be), the bonk tone is quality for sure, but not exactly overwhelming.

So to this point the expectations don't exactly meet the hype, but I suppose the proof is in the pudding once it gets turned into backs & sides and I actually manage to make a guitar with it.

I've got another 4 pieces that are slabs of a 6" wide log, with some sapwood all around, I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

B.rosewood,s inherent beauty has been its downfall. Currently on the endangered list, it has a worldwide embargo on any new lumber being harvested and marketed until it has been allowed sufficient time to re-grow. There are reforestation programs currently underway; however, the logs must be a least one hundred years old to be commercially usable. So for the next few generations it is not very likely that we will see Brazilian Rosewood reintroduced as a marketable species.

I wont use it.

This lumber has some sentimental value attached to it.

FWIW, this is verified pre-ban and was harvested long before there was a CITES, air-drying for decades in a barn, and part of my friend's inheritance from his father who used to make grandfather clocks by hand for the rich & famous in Argentina. I met the father a few years ago while tromping around Chilean volcanoes, and we spent a very cool evening tossing back tequila and talking wood. I never knew this, but it turns out fine builders of grandfather clocks are just as fussy about tone and acoustics as we are. My buddy doesn't know the first thing about guitars, but he wanted this wood to go to someone who could appreciate it....not to mention he wanted it out of his house.

There is apparently another stash still on the farm that has yet to make it into the states, I might see it come January.

The smell of brazilian rose always reminds me of bubble gum.... :D

Yeah, bubble gum whiff is pretty close I'd say.

I really thought hard about what to do with it, and ended up going traditional on this piece. I've got 2 sets of backs & sides made from this already, with some left over for headplates. It is flat- to rift-sawn so not ideal, but it is as close as I will get to a quality BRW set....and no bug holes!

Braz2.jpg

The other boards are still in the rough, and would only make 3 or 4-piece backs, so the back & sides strategy was what I went for on this one.

I work up the sides in a 4" thick mold, with an inner form that presses the side up against the inside wall (much like Rich's mold). At the rate I work, they stay fixed in the mold for about a month so I wouldn't expect them to move too much. I have two sets of rift-sawn walnut "practice" sides that are still nice and flat after being out of the mold (and subject to the garage environment) for 2 months. I guess I'll see.

Close-up of one of the back sets. :D

Braz4.jpg

Erik, Don't forget to sticker those for a few weeks and seal the ends. Time to set those aside for a while and let them relax.

Oh yeah, I'm all over that. They are already in the house with temp and humidity control.

The endgrain of the original boards is already nicely sealed in wax, thank goodness, but I've got to find some decent wax to seal the new endgrain. What do you use Rich, beeswax? Or something more special? I don't want to slap some latex paint on it.... :D

I'm in no hurry to use these, I want the ideas to simmer for awhile and come to maturity.

Edited by erikbojerik

Erik, Don't forget to sticker those for a few weeks and seal the ends. Time to set those aside for a while and let them relax.

Oh yeah, I'm all over that. They are already in the house with temp and humidity control.

The endgrain of the original boards is already nicely sealed in wax, thank goodness, but I've got to find some decent wax to seal the new endgrain. What do you use Rich, beeswax? Or something more special? I don't want to slap some latex paint on it.... :D

I'm in no hurry to use these, I want the ideas to simmer for awhile and come to maturity.

I use an endgrain sealer paint I picked up at Woodcraft. It is not as thick as dipped wax, but does a fine job.

Peace,Rich