Les Paul With Bolt On Neck

kitsch

Hello people,

newbie here, my name is Edo, nice to meet you all.

I'm about to order my first custom built guitar: it's going to be a sort of les paul copy, but I was thinking about a bolt on maple neck with ebony fingerboard, just because it's easier to set up/adjust on my own. Do you think is that going to affect the sound in a bad way? The body is going to be in Khoya moghany, and the guitar will have a humbucker on the bridge and a p90 on the neck.

Also, I'd rather have the 6 tuning machines on one side, rather than 3+3. How would that work?

And finally, as far as the scale, I know les pauls are 24 3/4" and strats are 25,5". I'd like to go somewhere in between, to get a midway string tension. Thoughts?

The thing is that I'm a big les paul fan (I have a few great lp's), but I'd like to have a versatile guitar with the look and feel of a les paul, but not necessarily with its fat tone..something between a les paul and a strat with humbuckers. What would you suggest?

Peace

Edo

www.myspace.com/kitschmania

www.kitsch-music.com

haha...yup, sounds like a PRS with a 6-a-side headstock to me.

The thing is that I'm a big les paul fan (I have a few great lp's), but I'd like to have a versatile guitar with the look and feel of a les paul, but not necessarily with its fat tone..something between a les paul and a strat with humbuckers. What would you suggest?

The simplest solution might be for a Les Paul shape, which will give you the look & feel, but with a maple neck & ash/alder/poplar body...add some coil splitting humbuckers & you'll have the shape & feel plus a strats tonal properties...well, almost.

haha...yup, sounds like a PRS with a 6-a-side headstock to me.

The simplest solution might be for a Les Paul shape, which will give you the look & feel, but with a maple neck & ash/alder/poplar body...add some coil splitting humbuckers & you'll have the shape & feel plus a strats tonal properties...well, almost.

Yeah, but what's the difference in terms of tone between 6 on one side vs 3+3? Also, how would a maple neck work with a les paul body in practical terms?? Would the guitar sound brighter orould it preserve the les paul fat tone??

In my opinion the tuner config would not make one jot of difference. 3 by 3 or 6 a side, its just the design aesthetics that count, what looks best on your guitar.

Maple neck vs Mahogany: traditional wisdom says more top end with the maple, but a good hoggny body will still give you plenty of deep warm brown tone. The top end should be further accented by going for a bolt-on rather than set. result: the perfect hybrid between a les paul, a strat and a prs.

I made up a single cut guitar recently, HB's with coil tap, mahgany body, thin maple cap, bolt on maple neck, it has loads of bottom end but a really nice clear high end that cuts through, really good balanced tone, for me, tonally, its near-perfect, just a little shabby on the finishing off.

Sounds more like a Tom Anderson Atom with a 25 inch scale neck...

I believe the Atom has a set in mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard, while the guitar I'm talking about has a bolt on maple neck with ebony fingerboard. Besides that - and this is a matter of personal taste - the Atom body shape is totally uncool..