Pickup Suggestions For My Strat?

dragonbat13

Hi. Just joined the forum but have been looking at the site for awhile. I am building a strat with a HSS pickup setup. I am using a Mexican Strat body with a Maple Neck/Board with compound radius. It will also have a Original Floyd Rose on it. I plan on spraying a thinskin nitro laquer finish. I need some opinions on pickups. This guitar is going to be used on a wide range of tones. Hard rock, Texas Blues, Chicago Blues, Metal, Classic Rock, Ect. I plan on using a JB Duncan in the bridge position. I prefer Duncan Pickups but I am not partial to them. What do you guys (and Gals) think would be a good Mid and Neck pickup for this guitar in this situtation. I know I will have some limits but I built a Tele for some of my more cleaner sounds. Also the body is already routed for three micro switches. I plan on using one to split the humbucker and maybe one for a phase reverse in the middle pickup. Also I plan on having a tone knob on the bridge and neck pickups instead of the normal strat tone controls. Sorry about the long post but I want to make sure everyone has a good idea of my goals.

Thanks

Mark

I would suggest a Lace Hot Gold Dually in the bridge, and 2 Lace Hot Gold SC's for middle and neck.

The mid and neck are 6K, the bridge you can get in several different flavors from (both)6K to (both)13K and a few in the middle.

It'll all match, they come in different colors, they are Fender spaced (for your Floyd), you can split the bridge and still have several useful sounds (a Dually is 2 true SC's side-by-side in HB form, so when you split them, you still get a great SC sound, not the crap-assy-split-HB tone) and they sound great for everything you mentioned.

Check out AAmps for purchase (great customer assistance and best prices)

Check out SMark's clips on the FDP (Fender Discussion Pages, Pickup Section, search username SMark, searchword Lace, there will be a bunch of them)

If you want, you can join the FDP and ask SMark himself, he is a pickup reviewer for some online e-magazine, and he swears by these after trying probably hundreds of pkps, and his clips are right up the alley of the music you requested.

There ya go. :D

I would suggest a Lace Hot Gold Dually in the bridge, and 2 Lace Hot Gold SC's for middle and neck.

+1 - There are better pickups for specific genres, but for a J*O*A*T axe, you can't do much better than these. The Dually is probably the best compromise between humbucker and single coil ever made, and does both authentically.