My Very First Guitar Ever

oblaty

I´m just 17, but after 7 months I managed to build my first guitar. It´s inspired by Musicman Steve Morse, but I used many different parts. Ah it feels so great...

Body is made out of alder and maple, neck is blank maple. The inlays are made out of black teflon. I used Gotoh tuners and jumbo frets.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/4489/dsc05070ua1.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

Looks really good!

For the orange peel, you may wanna try going back to the finer grades of sandpaper. He's not talking about the pick; he's referring to the orange pel texture that you can see where the light is reflecting.

What did you use to finish it, and what were your finishing steps?

Edited by custom22

Thanks...

I will have to refinish the body because I finished it not very good. 1.Nitrocellulose - high gloss 5 layers, 2.400grit sandpaper, 3.Acrylic can spray :D That´s all... I did only 3 layers of acryl because there was no money... But even that it has nice full tone almost like some hollow body. Oh by the way...the humbuckers are all the same

Thanks...

I will have to refinish the body because I finished it not very good. 1.Nitrocellulose - high gloss 5 layers, 2.400grit sandpaper, 3.Acrylic can spray :D That´s all... I did only 3 layers of acryl because there was no money... But even that it has nice full tone almost like some hollow body. Oh by the way...the humbuckers are all the same

Looks good and its nice to see another teenager on this forum. :D

Thanks...

Well, finishing isn't easy when you have limited supplies and money, and I think you did an excellent job. It could be better, sure, but there's something satisfying about getting good results with limited resources and having to improvise.

• 8 months later...
It is good to hear that I´m not the only teenager on this forum :D

There's actually guite a few here. I'm 15, in fact. No reason why teenagers can't build guitars : P

Love the guitar, specially the pickguard shape. Didnt really like the blue much, im glad your gonna refinish it. IMO, painted bodies look a little too "manufactured" for my tastes, unless you have a really interesting/unique theme or design. A real nice peice of wood can really make the guitar. I'd go with that approach.

What's the top on it at the moment?

Edited by Pyroiguana

What's the top on it at the moment?

I´ve always loved musicman body & pickguard shape, so I decided to build it :D

It has maple top now, but I want to replace it with some nicer maple or figured ash... I wanted to finish it like PRS - blue transparent top, natural binding, black back. New neck will be also slightly different. At first the headstock won´t be that small, but sized like original musicman. Neck: Maple as well but fingerboard will be Madagascar Rosewood, smaller frets, original Musicman truss rod.

And almost I forgot.. I want to make a new fingerboard out of acrylic to show figured top :D

Edited by oblaty

Ya mean acrylic pickguard, right : P

Hmm... I think it might just be better off without a pickguard at all, even thought I like the shape.

It all depends on what you like though. That, and how nice the wood you get for the top is.

I like it more with the pickguard... I´m not sure yet and also I don´t know if I get some nice top or acrylic :D I´ll be thinking about it when I will have guitar in my workshop...