Pickup Position Question

motus

okay so i drew this little sketch, pretty rough i wanted to get it down on 'paper' quickly

pickuprailsvz5.th.jpg

okay so the basic principle is explained in the sketch. this does not allow to interchange pickups, i might make the 'cart' that goes on the railing detachable , the pickup wiring is already being done with a small molex connector so i can just snap it off without having to resolder it

apart from switching pickups , i haven't tried this yet but would just move the pickups slightly higher and lower bring a noticeable change to the tone? harmonic wise?

if you don't understand the concept i'll just try and explain better next time, gotta catch a bus

This idea has been tried before (I remember a bass with very similar design on it). It should work fine although I'd personally make it so you could elevate the bridge end of the rails so you could get it so the rails were parrallel to the strings.

Although it will work its a little pointless (IMHO). You'd be better of finding one set of pickups that suit the guitar and perminantly attaching them in their optimum position.