Stew Mac Fret Slotting Template

guitar2005

I can't speak for the Stew-Mac slotting system, but Luthier's Mercantile system is used with the pointy, tapered end toward the template. It centers itself even if there is slight wear on it.

Are they about the same?

Mike

Stewmac's fret slotting handsaw is the only tool of theirs I've been dissapointed with. Replaced it with a Japanese handsaw, and I'd never, ever want to go back.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to cut as fast or smoothly as some japanese saws I've had. The problem is finding one that has the proper kerf.

No trouble with mine either. The best thing to do is like you said, bear your fingerboard to one side and clamp down as something like in my photo. There should`nt be that much play anyway. If there is I`d get on to StewMac and get it sorted. Anyone got the new stainless steel templates ? I`ve upgraded all my plastic ones to these, no chance of them wearing loose.

sawing%20fret%20slots.jpg

• 3 months later...

mine has a little bit of play and after clamping it the problem was solved .

But how do you guys make the center line after slotting ? Even if the pin side of the fretboard is DEAD flat and clamped right against the miter box sidewall , i cant get the slot square ... it angles a bit... how could i find a center line in that case ? :|

Edited by johnn_h

I draw a centerline on my fretboard blank (top and ends), radius it with my radiusing jig, then double-stick tape it down to my fret slot template that also has a centerline marked. The template fits tightly in the miter box. Just have to be careful that there is enough tape to hold the fretboard down without slipping while cutting the slots. Could probably devise some kind of clamping arrangement as well, but the way I have my miter box affixed to a long piece of MDF, it's not practical in my case.

I draw a centerline on my fretboard blank (top and ends), radius it with my radiusing jig, then double-stick tape it down to my fret slot template that also has a centerline marked. The template fits tightly in the miter box. Just have to be careful that there is enough tape to hold the fretboard down without slipping while cutting the slots. Could probably devise some kind of clamping arrangement as well, but the way I have my miter box affixed to a long piece of MDF, it's not practical in my case.

That is the exact set up I have Rick and it works for me. But after seeing the hold-down quick clamp I may revise mine. That is an excellent idea Bobz.

• 6 months later...

A sloppy pin isnt a good idea, call Stumac and ask for a replacement pin or entire jig set. If they are all sloppy try some very small drill bits find one that just fits and use the uncut side. Cheaper than finding a bag of pins on MSC that will fit. I have some of the older plastic jigs, the pin I used was from some bag or precision 1/8" pins I had. I dont remember the SM pin fitting too well. Adding gule is a temporay fix at best.

I would also clamp any jig while cutting frets