Tube Amp

The Fatalities

I think i may buy a behringer tube amp but i want to get ass much power out of it as it can pump out.

it is rated 15w with 8" speaker. can i change the speaker and somehow change the wattage?

im fairly new to this.

I think i may buy a behringer tube amp but i want to get ass much power out of it as it can pump out.

it is rated 15w with 8" speaker. can i change the speaker and somehow change the wattage?

im fairly new to this.

In a word no. The wattage of the amp is to do with the maximum output of the tube power amp and also to do with the maximum load the output transformer can take. You could change the speaker to a larger driver (ie to a 10" or 12" speaker) and as long as its the same impedance (most likely to be 8ohms on your amp) then it'll still have the same power output but will sound louder as you're moving more air (this is to do with sound preasure levels but I won't go into that now :D ).

of course you could change the transformers and the tubes and the speaker and get more wattage for sure, but wait thats a new amp. actually which behringer is it i could look into it. depends on what it is, how much wattage its running and how far you want to go into this. it could be as simple as changing out the output transformer or perhaps rebiasing it which still deals with high voltage but isn't that difficult. you can always add more tubes but you need more high voltage. for a little headroom you could opt to go with one of hammonds mini hv transformers gets you about 25ma at 400v or so or around 50ma at 250v. however don't get yourself killed without knowing what you are doing. before modding an existing amp look into what you are doing there are plenty of online resources and tube amps can kill you.

ss can too but thats another factor.

ed

thanks for the advice. the its this behringer amp:

http://www.behringer.com/AC108/index.cfm?lang=ENG

i want to try and make a simple 57 twin using the module out of the behringer. it will be too complicated for my level to add reverb and the liking so ill keep it simple. im just not sure if the tube amp has enough power to have 2 x 12" speakers in it.

max volts i can use in the australian outlets is 240.

ive read a little on tube amps and found out there is alot of preperationd, hazards and maintenece involved.

the amp is solid state it has a tube preamp. probally run at twelve volts for "warmth"

actually you can run two twelve inch speakers off of twenty watts but it won't have alot of headroom and you have to make sure the impedance is spot on.